Campground pines, MTSF

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Campground pines, MTSF

Post by dbhguru » Thu May 27, 2010 8:26 pm

ENTS,

I'm still in testing mode for the Garmin Oregon 450t. I went to MTSF today to continue measuring pines and collecting coordinates. I concentrated on three areas: the Cold River corridor, the Indian Springs pines, and the campground pines. In the Cold River corridors, I picked up a few more 140s. I'm up to 8 white pines >=140 feet. One is over 150. I picked up another 140 in the Indian Springs pines, but the real surprises came in the Campground - an area I meticulously avoid. However, today, I was in a tolerant mood. So I went to the upper part of the campground and peered down looking at each pine. One stood out as appearing very tall. I had not noticed the height of the pine before. You see what you expect to see until something prompts removal of the blinders. Well, the number is 151.0, feet tall and 9.6 feet in girth! Yep, I'm up to 109. In addition, another pine next to a campsite appeared unusually large. It is: girth = 12.1 feet, height = 140.7 feet.

In terms of the pines I've measured since October of last year, the stats are as follows.

Height No Trees

>=140' 216

>=150' 109

>=160' 9

Volume No Trees

>=400 ft^3 55
>=500 ft^3 26
>=600 ft^3 8
>=700 ft^3 2
>=800 ft^3 0

Girth No Trees
>=10 51
>=11 18
>=12 6

I doubt there are any more pines >= 12 ft around. If so, maybe 1. I have quite a few 400 Ft^3 pines to go; lots of 140s; a few pines >= 11 ft, and an unknown number >= 10 ft. I doubt there are many, but I keep proving myself wrong.

I really do think I have all the 150s (yeah, you've heard that before). By the end of the growing season, though, I expect that we'll have at least 110 150s and probably 111 or 112. I expect between 270 and 300 140s, if I can confirm them all. That is an amazing number for a Northeastern forest.

By the end of this growing season, Tecumseh will probably reach 800 cubes.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Re: Campground pines

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu May 27, 2010 8:47 pm

Bob, Theres been reports of an old guy with a hat running around spreading miracle grow. I hope they catch that guy soon, they say he's been seen all over New England! Larry

dbhguru

Re: Campground pines, MTSF

Post by dbhguru » Fri May 28, 2010 7:35 am

Larry,

Yeah, I've heard some of those reports. Actually, I think I saw him yesterday in three different areas of Mohawk, no less. Strange looking dude. Has lots of gizmos around his waist. Appears to mumble a lot to himself. Runs from one tree to another letting out sounds like an ape call near the bigger trees. But he seems harmless enough. I just left him alone to wander.

Wonder if there are any crusty old dudes like him out in the Durango, CO area trying to speed up the growth of ponderosas, Englemann spruce, blue spruce, etc. If we see anybody doing that should we report him/her to the Forest Service authorities?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

edfrank

Re: Campground pines

Post by edfrank » Fri May 28, 2010 9:23 pm

Larry Tucei wrote:Bob, Theres been reports of an old guy with a hat running around spreading miracle grow. I hope they catch that guy soon, they say he's been seen all over New England! Larry
Larry, there are also reports of him being accompanied by a strange woman.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

James Parton

Re: Campground pines, MTSF

Post by James Parton » Fri May 28, 2010 11:25 pm

Could it be Tom Bombadil & Goldberry? Known in the forests of Eastern Earth as Pine Bobadil and Monica Whiteberry.

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Return to “MA - Mohawk Trail State Forest”