Wheeler Brook

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Wheeler Brook

Post by dbhguru » Fri May 21, 2010 5:58 pm

ENTS,

Today I went to Mohawk to check on a tree I had not measured in years. I've named it the Wheeler Brook Pine since it grows just above Wheeler Brook. The following images show the pine - the first up close and the second from a distance. The pine to the right is the Wheeler Brook Pine in the second image.
WheelerBrookPine.jpg
WheelerBrookPine2.jpg
The charismatic tree weighs in with a girth = 10.2 feet and 150.7 feet in height. Yes, another 150 for Mohawk. That's number 108!

The Wheeler Brook Pine grows near Wheeler Brook Falls as shown in the next image.
WheelerBrookFalls.jpg
The area is awash in old growth. The last image shows several old growth forms on the ridge line.
OldGrowthWhitePines.jpg
Farther down the Cold River, I added four more 140s growing on the strip between Route 2 and the Cold River. I'm up to 211 140s, and nowhere near finished. There are close to 300 140s in Mohawk and I'm determined eventually to get them all.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Rand

Re: Wheeler Brook

Post by Rand » Sat May 22, 2010 7:10 pm

You've got quite an eye for pictures. Way to show the rest of the world what you are seeing.

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon May 24, 2010 11:44 am

Bob, You keep finding those 150's congrats! Based on your listing would it be safe to estimate that there would have been thousands of White Pines in the 150-170' range pre 1700? Bob can you imagine how it would have looked, Awesome! I'll ask you another question how big of CBH do you think the old growth was, 15-20' ? Larry

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 am

Larry,

That's a good question. At one time, I would have guessed no, but seeing the possibilities as our New England white pine forests mature, I would have to reverse direction and say yes - but a qualified yes. The big question is how prevalent was white pine before European Americans starting massively clearing the land. My guess is that white pine was far, far less abundant. So the opportunity to have lots of 150s would be reduced, but could the species reach those heights in lots of places, I think probably yes, and that conclusion is more gut feel that born out by my data.

I have yet to measure a 150 in the Connecticut River Valley, but I suspect that the Pelham Hills to the east has a few that I don't know about. White pine is being cut very fast these days, so the opportunity of finding more 150s is rapidly diminishing. Farther east, I don't see white pines making it into the big numbers. In extreme eastern mass, we've broken 130 only once, thanks to Andrew's persistence. But eastern Mass has been so hammered that the land and forest always looks tired.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “MA - Mohawk Trail State Forest”