#132 and 172.9

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

#132 and 172.9

Post by dbhguru » Sat May 09, 2015 7:42 am

NTS,

Yesterday we had our second AF tree measuring workshop at MTSF. It was highly successful in all ways. I was especially satisfied because we welcomed aboard my friend John Eichholz as a full member of the National Cadre. John is one of the best tree measurers on the planet and a companion i documenting the best that Massachusetts has to grow. DCR District Manager Tim Zelazo and Supervisor Dave Miller were there to start the event. In addition to John Eichhloz, Doug Bidlack and Ray Asselin helped show people how to use equipment.

When we went to re-measure the Jake Swamp tree as part of the demonstration. John got 172.9 feet. I had gotten 172.9 on Wednesday, discounted to 172.8 because I didn't know where exactly I was hitting a marker on Jake's trunk. I'll now go with the 172.9.

On our return, John measured a leaning white pine off the old Cold River Road and found a top at 150.4 feet, making it #132 in the 150-Club. I had gotten slightly under 150, but will happily take John's measurement. John also explained that he is up to seven 150s in Kenneth M. Dubuque SF. Our 150 tally in Massachusetts follows.

Property # 150s

MTSF 132
Bryant Homestead 20
Dubuque SF 7
Ice Glen 5
Monroe SF 1
US Fish Hatchery 1

---------------
Total 166

At present this surpasses any other state in the Northeast with the exception of Pennsylvania, which will have more when tuliptree is included.

Here is a photo of Jake taken by Tim Zelazo.
MTSFJakeSwamp-5-9-2015TZ.jpg
I expect Ray will have some images of the event to post within the next few days.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

RayA

Re: #132 and 172.9

Post by RayA » Tue May 12, 2015 6:42 am

Here is a shot of #132, the 150.4' White Pine Bob mentioned above:
P1030840.JPG

And a few other photos from the event...
The cabin where the indoor presentation was held.
The cabin where the indoor presentation was held.
Some happy attendees
Some happy attendees
Bob actually making pines grow taller as onlookers watch
Bob actually making pines grow taller as onlookers watch

Return to “MA - Mohawk Trail State Forest”