Meditations in Cabin #6

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

James Parton

Re: Meditations in Cabin #6

Post by James Parton » Sat May 08, 2010 12:50 pm

Gaines, looking at trees as " visual music " is appropriate. I could have not said it better myself. But have you ever combined the forest and music? The thought reminds me of riding the Blue Ridge Parkway listening to Enya. James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

gnmcmartin

Post by gnmcmartin » Sat May 08, 2010 7:44 pm

James:

The "extra musical" uses/meanings of music is a topic that fascinates me. I can't at the moment think of any specific music that would accompany viewing forests, but I am sure I have had some experiences of that sort.

Music has sometimes been thought of as a kind of emotional language, but I think its meanings can go far beyond that, and can be very subtle and complex. Many, many years ago when I was a graduate student at UCLA, I was going through a particularly tough time in my life. At one very low point I was terribly, terribly sick with the flu. I struggled out to a record store a block or so away and brought back a recording of Beethoven's last 5 string quartets. I sometimes wonder if I would have anything like the kind of life I have today, if that music was not so completely infused with a sense that life has meaning. Many people will deny that music can comminicate that sort of thing, but others, such as JWN Sullivan (in his book, Beethoven: His Spiritual Development) will affirm it. I am strongly in the latter camp.

--Gaines

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sat May 08, 2010 8:20 pm

Gaines,

I wonder at this classical music obsession you and several other members of ENTS seem to have. I am wondering if this affliction isn't some sort of a mind altering cult and perhaps we will have another Jonestown in the future.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Sat May 08, 2010 8:58 pm

Ed,

I guess I have the disease too. I have lots of classical music in my collection as well.

JP
James E Parton
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Sun May 09, 2010 7:16 am

Bob, I must get up to visit you, Monica and Mohawk. Bienville has many tall trees as for super tall sweetgums, its possible but most of the trees there are around 125' tall. But with 178,000 acres I really haven't measured but a 1% area of this forest! The tip of the Iceberg. This fall I will try and search out more for you. Larry

gnmcmartin

Post by gnmcmartin » Sun May 09, 2010 7:33 am

Ed:

You had better watch out--I have been contemplating posting some poetry (not any of mine, however) along with some commentary.

--Gaines

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sun May 09, 2010 7:58 am

Gaines,

You can't scare me, even with threats of poetry and Schubert...

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Don

Post by Don » Sun May 09, 2010 3:02 pm

Ed-
Would Ravel unravel you?
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun May 09, 2010 8:08 pm

Gaines,

Thank you for a beautiful description of the role of music and trees in your life. There is beauty in the mystery and mystery in the beauty. Appreciation of trees and music are expressions of the merging of physical form and sound with mind. Today, I had the opportunity to sample that merging with a visit to my favorite forest haunt. Monica, Dr. Steve Tilley, and I took a hike on the old Shunpike in Mohawk. Steve had been moved by the images of the Shunpike area that I had recently sent him by email. He asked to see the area, so today off we went. BTW, Steve is an expert herpetologist, specializing in salamanders, lizards, and frogs. He is a tenured professor at Smith College.

With the progression of spring, the forest canopy has once again closed. This sidetracks my usually intense measuring focus, and today the suspension allowed me to concentrate on the extraordinary natural beauty that surrounded us. I looked for photographic opportunities. I wasn't alone. Steve brought along an expensive camera and made good use of it. He was greatly taken by the area, to the satisfaction of Monica and I.

The Shunpike region of Mohawk is a natural gallery of exquisite forms. Rocks of all sizes, trees, shrubs, wild flowers, and the inexhaustible combinations of the four constantly vie for one's attention. The eyes are drawn to first one sight, and then another. The image below is of a large boulder that I find exceptionally fascinating. I'm unsure why.
BoulderArt.jpg
Another rock formation that I am drawn to is in an area that I call the Passage. I have not yet decided what the passage is to or from. That will cbe revealed in time. For the present, I'm content to just call the area by the ledge in the following image, The Passage.
Passage.jpg
This is the time of year when spring wildflowers are at their peak. The next image shows one of the many patches of foam flower that we saw. The trilliums have largely passed, as have the squirrel corn and Dutchman's breeches.
FoamFlower.jpg
No visit to the Shunpike is complete without a visit to Magic Maple. Earlier visits this year found her recovering from the long winter. In the cold season, she reveals her lithe form, her graceful limbs, but now she is now dressed in her cloak of bright spring green. The green will slowly darken as Magic Maple asserts her role as queen of her court. The following images show Monica and Steve with the Magic one.
MonicaSteverMagicMaple.jpg
As no visit to the Shunpike area is complete with paying our respects to Magic Maple, no visit to Thumper Mountain is complete without going through the Gateway. This is Monica's special place of meditation. According to a Celtic Shaman friend of ours, the Gateway is an interface between worlds. It feels very powerful. It is very powerful.
Gateway.jpg
Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Sun May 09, 2010 9:16 pm

Bob,

Yes, the closing canopy made it difficult to measure trees in Linville Gorge as well. Most of my measurements are probably conservative because of it. Beyond now, most accurate measuring will be of open grown trees until late autumn.

James
James E Parton
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

Return to “MA - Mohawk Trail State Forest”