Elders Grove Map

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Elders Grove Map

Post by dbhguru » Sat May 01, 2010 1:04 pm

ENTS,

Yesterday DCR District Manager Tim Zelazo and I visited the Elders Grove. I needed to get more data so that I could create a rough stand map. Tim did the photographing, which left me free to measure and calculate. I wanted to insure that the 150s hadn't lost any crown from the winter's snow and ice. Sometimes I feel like a mother hen always checking on the whereabouts and condition of her chicks.

The following map shows the relative positions of the pines in the Elders Grove. I think there is one more - a small pine on the southern border. I'll get to it next visit.
EldersGrove.jpg
The opportunity also gave Tim a chance to check on the Americorps kids who are rebuilding the trail form Zoar Gap back around Todd Mountain to the lower meadow. The kids were doing a great job.In the future, the Elders Grove will be less anonymous, but is in no danger of receiving too much visitation. The vast majority of visits would likely hardly notice the tall pines. It usually takes trees that are at least 5 feet in diameter to start drawing attention. The pines will likely be appreciated for their grace and symmetry, but mostly as a forest backdrop. It will be left to the ENTS faithful to enjoy them for what they are and represent.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Lisa

Re: Elders Grove Map

Post by Lisa » Tue May 04, 2010 7:07 am

Bob,

I do want to get out to Mohawk one of these weekends to continue tagging. I don't know how long it will take, but it seems that the Ents Grove would be worth doing. My May weekends are all accounted for, but let me know if you and Monica will be there in June or July.
Thanks so much for all the MTSF postings. It's been great to hear and see how those trees are doing.

Lisa

dbhguru

Re: Elders Grove Map

Post by dbhguru » Wed May 05, 2010 1:53 pm

Lisa,

Monica and I just returned from MTSF, where we stayed two nights in Cabin #6. I spent lots more time in the Pocumtuck Grove. Without the tags, I'd be dead in the water. Your and Susan's work continues to bear fruit.

Oh yes, I confirmed yet another 150. I'm up to 106 for all MTSF, 18 of which are in the Pocumtuck Grove. I'll have a full report soon.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “MA - Mohawk Trail State Forest”