Mohawk. April 20, 2010

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Mohawk. April 20, 2010

Post by dbhguru » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:12 pm

ENTS,

Yesterday Monica and I went for a stroll in Mohawk. Actually, it was a lot more than a stroll. We climbed to the top of Todd Mtn going up the steep side, but the hike was worth it. The image below shows early spring from the old Mohawk Trail looking westward. The gorge directly below is about 850 feet deep. Although that depth isn't in any way remarkable, it does provide a real scenic dimension.
ColdRiverGorge2.jpg
The next image looks toward Hawks Mountain, a ridge that reaches 1883 feet above seal level starting from an elevation of 600 feet - again, not record setting, but not shabby.
HawksMtn.jpg
The third and fourth images show an absolutely gorgeous American beech. It measures 8 feet in girth and 114.1 feet in height. It shows no evidence of beech bark disease.
BeautifulBeech.jpg
BeautiflBeech2.jpg
The rock outcroppings on the slopes of Todd Mtn are interesting and often impressive. The next two images show rock formations. There is a forest that grows in the boulder fields. Not all trees make it as shown in the second image.
Bigrock.jpg
DownedAsh.jpg
On the way back, we took a shortcut through the Pocumtuck grove. Here is a scene I thought worth capturing.
InTheForest.jpg
Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

edfrank

Re: Mohawk. April 20, 2010

Post by edfrank » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:35 pm

Bob,

Very nice beech. How are the beech trees in general in Massachusetts? Are they hit hard by beech bark disease, or doesn't it have much of a fothold?

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:57 pm

Bob,

Your nearly as good with a camera as you are with words. I am getting jealous....~laughing~!

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat May 01, 2010 7:19 am

Ed,

To answer your question, the beeches are extremely hard hit. Most of the beauties I knew in the late 1970s are dead. Beeches like that one in the photo are extremely rare now in the Berkshires.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “MA - Mohawk Trail State Forest”