The Striped Maple

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

The Striped Maple

Post by dbhguru » Sat May 04, 2013 3:02 pm

NTS,

Here is a look at the 68.4-foot striped maple in Mohawk.
MTSF-STM-1.jpg
MTSF-STM-2.jpg

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Joe

Re: The Striped Maple

Post by Joe » Sun May 05, 2013 7:30 am

amazing--- I never have understood why striped maple is common on some properties and not on others

it's far more common in the Berkshires than in central Mass. so I suppose it's mostly about soil fertility which is generally higher in the Berkshires

I like the way the old tree looks soooo different from young tree- common enough but we seldom see old striped maples-- they usually just fall over before they get as big/old as this one..
Joe

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun May 05, 2013 8:20 am

Joe,

In Mohawk, striped maple does very well under an over-story of white pine. It has plenty of growing room. So far, I've measured 3 striped maples in Mohawk over 60 feet in height. The largest girth has been 39 inches. Elsewhere on Greylock, I measured a 41-inch girth striped maple, and one in Vermont's Green Mountains to 42 inches. Usually the largest are fairly short, growing in patches that receive extra light.

I don't know how long they can live. I expect that 80 years would be an extremely old one. I expect that 40 to 80 years is their life expectancy.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Sun May 05, 2013 9:02 am

Bob, Joe

I cored a 99 year tree in the Smokies 20 years ago. Remember to scope out the stripers in the Buckland Spruce grove.

Will

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun May 05, 2013 9:54 am

dbhguru wrote:Joe,

In Mohawk, striped maple does very well under an over-story of white pine. It has plenty of growing room. So far, I've measured 3 striped maples in Mohawk over 60 feet in height. The largest girth has been 39 inches. Elsewhere on Greylock, I measured a 41-inch girth striped maple, and one in Vermont's Green Mountains to 42 inches. Usually the largest are fairly short, growing in patches that receive extra light.

I don't know how long they can live. I expect that 80 years would be an extremely old one. I expect that 40 to 80 years is their life expectancy.

Bob
by the way, why is it that the great forest at Mohawk SF survived? Did the state people consciously decide to protect it all these years or was it just due to a lack of ambition? Clearly, most foresters would like to "manage" such a forest. I presume the distance from markets- and being in an isolated area which once probably had pretty bad roads is what kept it safe.
Joe

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun May 05, 2013 9:57 am

Will Blozan wrote:Bob, Joe

I cored a 99 year tree in the Smokies 20 years ago. Remember to scope out the stripers in the Buckland Spruce grove.

Will
Will, did you photograph it?

as for why this work is wonderful--- to learn what nature can do - it's full potential- enriches our lives--- now if only we could know the full potential of humans....
Joe

Return to “MA - Mohawk Trail State Forest”