Bummer in Mohawk

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Bummer in Mohawk

Post by dbhguru » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:28 am

NTS,

On Thursday Ray Asselin and several others accompanied yours truly on a visit to check on the big pines in the Trout Brook Cove of MTSF. My specific objective was to check on the white ashes at the upper end of the cove and the Jefferson and Madison pines. Well, here is what I saw when we reached the Jefferson Pine.
MTSF-Jefferson.jpg
Yikes! Stone cold dead. I visit this tree last autumn. How could it have died in degenerated in such a short time. This was one of the big pines. It measured 12.55 feet around and was 144.2 feet tall. Not any more. Oh well. I'm pretty philosophical about such things. I know that Mother Nature is indifferent to my personal feelings about particular trees. But, dang, why so sudden? The pine had a thinning crown last fall, but so did other pines. courtesy of the latest fungus to attack the species. So far, the trees a looking pretty good this spring. Hopefully, we want see a decline in the overall health in the Mohawk pines.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Re: Bummer in Mohawk

Post by Larry Tucei » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:30 pm

Bob- To bad about the Jefferson Pine. I know exactly how you feel. Far too many trees or Forests that I became fond of have died, been cut, and I just had to except it. I have been touched by such loss almost angry but then I would come to realize that I was lucky enough to share the energy, joy and beauty of each tree or Forest I was fond of. I know them and they know me. Trees become our friends and when we lose them it can be difficult. I will always remember them and it reminds me of my own mortality. Larry

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:51 pm

Larry,

Most eloquently expressed. Thanks. Yes, these trees are four friends. We visit them and marvel at their forms, sizes, and ages and we acknowledge the roles they play in generating oxygen, absorbing CO2, providing habitat, etc. but we are all mortal and must come to grips with loss. It probably seems odd to many of our human companions that some of us can develop great feeling for non-animal species. But, heck, what they don't understand is that trees are people too.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:55 am

regarding life and death of trees- as a forester, I get to play God out there- I walk around with a paint gun and decide, "you, oh wonderfull tree, you shall be sacrified to the GNP and I'll say a prayer for you, but you over there, you're a beauty but you're not ripe enough, you may live for another 30 years before you are sacrificed, and you magnifence one over there, I like you so much, you'll never be sacrificed, but you ratty weeviled white pine- you'll be sent to the hell of a biomass plant to burn forever--- er... well for a few minutes"

as for that sudden death syndrome with the white pines- that's what happened on my street last year, severall large, healthy looking pines just up and died and they were next to each other- I have no clue what happened to them..."

Joe

Return to “MA - Mohawk Trail State Forest”