Jake and Joe, MTSF, MA

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Jake and Joe, MTSF, MA

Post by dbhguru » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:21 pm

NTS,

Today Joe Zorzin and I went to MTSF to lay the grounds for his filming of the upcoming Oct 12th tree measuring event. The weather was gorgeous. We accomplished what we really set out to do - have fun. We went straight to the Jake and Joe trees. I wanted to measure Jake's new candle growth to get a better confirmation of the height gain of Jake this growing season. You can see below what was determined. Yes, Jake had a heck of a growing season. Next year isn't so likely to be as good.
MTSF-JakesTop-9-16-2012-b.jpg
With Joe Zorzin present, I re-measured Jake's full height and again confirmed the height at 171.0 feet using the LTI TruPulse 360 exclusively. Joe peered through the TruPulse and confirmed the numbers.
image004.jpg
image004.jpg (20.47 KiB) Viewed 1192 times
While there, I also re-measured the Joe Norton tree, just a few yards away, and got 166.6 feet. I'll now re-measure Saheda in the Elders Grove to see which is #2 in the height department for all New England. I expect that Saheda is close to 167 feet.

I hope to measure the new growth of a sample of the Mohawk pines in November and December. However, my focus for next week will be the Marsh-Billings-Rockerfeller NHP in Woodstock, VT. Monica and I will be returning on Sept 26th for a day of measuring on behalf of the Park. A great partnership is developing.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

adam.rosen

Re: Jake and Joe, MTSF, MA

Post by adam.rosen » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:41 pm

I'm so happy you'll be going to Woodstock. Will you check on some of older hemlocks in Marsh Billings? Hey, on the way there stop at Gifford and settle my score with Tom. I think it has been awhile since a reliable measurement has been taken of those old maples.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:46 pm

Adam,

Sure. I can do that. I've measured trees in Gifford Woods before, but it has been several years. Time to bring the numbers up to date.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

AndrewJoslin

Post by AndrewJoslin » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:54 am

Congrats Bob! Went over 170 and kept on going!
-AJ

Return to “MA - Mohawk Trail State Forest”