Long Live Jake, MTSF, MA

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Long Live Jake, MTSF, MA

Post by dbhguru » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:01 am

NTS,

Yesterday I went to Mohawk to do some pre-workshop planning. It is my intention that the workshop be thoroughly planned out with worksheets for measuring exercises on trees that have been measured to very high levels of accuracy. There's more work involved than just standing back and shooting a tree. We'll be computing offsets and resolving differences between results from different techniques.

Afterwards I went to do the post season measurement of the Jake Swamp tree. I exclusively used my TruPulse 360, setting it on my tripod. I began the measuring process by putting an orange disk at 4.5 feet above mid-slope using Will Blozan's thumbtack at 4.5 feet so that measurements stay consistent. I usually can't see the spot from where I see the crown, but managed to shift around until I did find a whole through the foliage to the marker and simultaneously to the crown. The image below shows the highest point of Jake's crown.
JakesCrown-1.jpg
With good lines of sight and a steady measurement platform established, I went to work. The attached Excel spreadsheet speaks for itself. How do I resolve pre-season measurements with the latest results? The difference lies mostly in getting the base measurement consistent. If you can see the base very well, that becomes a source of difference and/or error. Having cleared a few limbs on diseased beeches, so that I have a clear sight to the marker, I'm set on the base for the future.

It is always interesting, if not entertaining when I tell others about Jake's status. Some believe me immediately. Others have their doubts, and on still others, the information doesn't seem to register. It is that way across the groups I speak to. One question that can be legitimately asked is: How do you know Jake is number one in New England? I always explain, that we can't absolutely know that unless we measure every legitimate contender. So, I say Jake is the tallest accurately measured tree of any species in New England. That can lead to questions about accuracy and who can achieve it. As we know, this can be a touchy topic. Usually, I handle it fairly diplomatically, but on occasion, my real view point shows through. I've become rather intolerant of timber professionals and big tree hunters who just don't get it, and don't seem to want to get it. But attitude from me won't win support from those who have open minds. So, I plan to be on my best behavior for the upcoming Advanced Tree Measuring Workshop. If the people who choose to participate in the measuring exercises go through all the steps, it will become apparent what conditions must be met when using a measuring technique, and the consequences if conditions are not met. I'll include trees for which the tangent method works well from any direction, trees for which the method works for only some directions, and trees for which the method fails no matter where the measurer is positioned. Since we'll have American Forests present as well as LTI, we have an opportunity to really demonstrate the art and science of tree measuring as it needs to be done unless the measurer is playing games.

I realize that western massachusetts is a long way away from many of you. However, if you can make it here and need support either knowing where to stay or having help with accommodations the sooner you can let me know that you plan to come, the better the position I'll be in to help you.

Bob
Attachments
JakeSwampMeasurements.xlsx
(304.67 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Re: Long Live Jake

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:00 pm

Bob, You know Jake will grow to 180 for you in a few more years. I think I read somewhere that a gentlemen was seen applying something to the Pines in that area. I believe it was miracle grow and cow manure. Hahahah I'd love to come up but want to make Colorado next summer. Maybe I could attend next falls. Larry

dbhguru

Re: Long Live Jake

Post by dbhguru » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:17 pm

Larry,

There's a tree in Mohawk that has your name on it. Its statistics and approximate location will become known in due time. You've more than earned a Mohawk tree.

Yep, save your energy for Durango. We're going to have a rip roaring time, padnah.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “MA - Mohawk Trail State Forest”