The Final Chapter

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

The Final Chapter

Post by dbhguru » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:18 pm

ENTS

Today my friend District Manager Tim Zelazo and I met at MTSF to complete the inventorying of the 150s. I needed to remeasure the Oneida Pine to insure it hadn't lost any crown. If so, we would have 103 confirmed 150s in MTSF. It hadn't lost an inch. At 152.5 feet, it has crown to spare.

On the way to the Oneida Pine, I showed Tim Magic Maple. He liked the tree a lot. An image of Tim and Magic Maple follows.
TimAndMagicMaple.jpg

Threading our way through rock formations, we approached an area of old hemlocks. The following image is of the passage through.
PathwayDown.jpg
The next image show Tim next to a 10.1-ft around, 121.3-ft tall, 250-year old hemlock. Way cool.
OGHemlockAndTim.jpg
The final image shows a 103.9-ft tall yellow birch I measured. Not bloody bad.
YellowBirch104.jpg
Oh yes, we found another 150-ft white pine near the end of the historic 1700s Shunpike route. It becomes the Robert Campanile Pine. It is 9.3-ft around and 150.5 ft tall. That, folks, is number 104 confirmed. Mohawk rules. There are 9 trees that could grow into 150s by the end of this growing season, which would put MTSF #1 in the Northeast. Blue paint at the base of the Campanile Pine reminded us of a planned timber sale that was halted when MTSF became part of the 9th forest reserve. I felt immense satisfaction. This tree and one higher on the ridge named Lonesome Pine, also a 150, were to be part of a softwood timber sale. However, I was allowed to draw the boundaries of Reserve #9, which includes the cluster of north end pines. It would have been tragic to have lost them.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Re: The Final Chapter

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:50 pm

Bob, Congrats, Super job on the MTSF 150 Project! The Forest is lucky to have someone like you and Tim. Ah, the Magic Maple. I remember the tree well, some of your best writing. I'll never forget that tree. I feel like I've been to MTSF thanks to your powerful penmanship! Larry

James Parton

Re: The Final Chapter

Post by James Parton » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:14 pm

Bob,

I have to agree with Larry. Awesome work and I like the title MTSF 150 Project!

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Return to “MA - Mohawk Trail State Forest”