Two neat images, MTSF, MA

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Two neat images, MTSF, MA

Post by dbhguru » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:45 am

NTS

Ed Ritz and I visited Mohawk a couple of days ago and we took these images. The first is of the Joseph Brant pine (11.2 ft x 160.1 ft).
MTSF-JosephBrantPine-1.jpg
The next shows me at the base of a 142.0-foot white ash. The top of the ash cannot be seen. Although the ash is just 6 feet in girth, the image of me barely visible (right side of tree) shows the exceptional verticality of these forests.
MTSF-TallAsh-Bob-1.jpg
In a recent email to DCR reporting on this visit I wrote the following.

Now for a final commentary. When I trek through these hidden forest sanctuaries, I am constantly reminded of what makes them special - what sets them apart from the vast majority of undistinguished woodlands that form the Berkshire uplands, and in fact, most of the woodlands of Massachusetts. In Mohawk, it isn't the tree species, or their distribution. It isn't the number of rare or endangered plants. It isn't what Mohawk's woods share in common with other DCR properties, but rather, it is what makes Mohawk's forests distinct - their abundance of exceptional trees. In my view, this attribute cannot be emphasized too much.

I am reminded of the report MASSACHUSETTS FOREST RESERVES LONG TERM ECOLOGICAL MONITORING PROGRAM - MOHAWK.MONROE/SAVOY FOREST RESERVE. Although there is useful information in this journeyman effort, from reading it, and other than the mention of the old growth, if I did I not know differently, from the report, I would see nothing exceptional about the forests in the 9th forest reserve. The report is woefully inadequate in its descriptions of the forests of Mohawk, Monroe, and Savoy and their rich cultural history (the old Indian path, the Shunpike, John Wheeler's grave, etc.). When I return from the West, I'll dive into the trail guide for the Mahican-Mohawk Recreational Trail. I have made contact with a source that can take the cultural history to a new level.

One of the addresses responded as follows.

Thanks Bob. Impressive as always.

I know and have read the report you reference with some frustration in looking for more content, as to more details about what makes this place special. I do appreciate your summary of these forests as being a concentration of exceptional examples.

Thanks again for your herculean efforts.

I include the above response to acknowledge that there are people in DCR who very much recognize and appreciate what we in NTS do, do for DCR properties, and what exists in those properties as ecological-inspirational treasures. It would be grossly unfair of me to imply that DCR, as an organization, does not have many employees who value DCR parks and reserves as ecologically valuable and inspirational. DCR employees can be divided into four camps: (1) those who recognize the full range of values in our public forests, (2) those who are just economically focused on the timber, (3) those who are focused on just recreation, and (4) those who don't think much about it at all. I am forever grateful for the members of category (1), and it is for them, as well as the people of the Commonwealth, that Monica and I have undertaken the effort to do trail guides for the great places in Mohawk, Monroe, Mt. Greylock, and a few other properties. It is a labor of love and one that will likely occupy me for as long as my legs will carry me up and down the ridges. The third attachment is a draft of the Great Pines Nature Trail. Monica and have lots of work left to do on it, but getting there.

Bob
Attachments
MTSF-GreatPinesTrailDraft.docx
(5.18 MiB) Downloaded 111 times
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

eliahd24

Re: Two neat images

Post by eliahd24 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:57 am

Looks like a truly amazing forest. I hope to visit one day!
~Eli

dbhguru

Re: Two neat images

Post by dbhguru » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:00 am

Eli,

And it will be my honor and pleasure to give you a personal tour. Any chance you could make it up for the Oct 12th advanced tree measuring workshop?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

James Parton

Re: Two neat images, MTSF, MA

Post by James Parton » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:43 pm

Awesome Bob!

I do miss your outstanding adventures and awesome photography.

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:12 pm

Bob, Fantastic writing and photography. Mass is lucky to have someone with your talents, dedication and love of trees that wants to reach out to everyone. Keep up the great work! Someday in the near future I will come up for the grand tour. Larry

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:04 am

Larry, James, et al.,

Monica and I are gearing up for a western tour. I can hardly wait to hit the road. Although the eastern forest is and will continue to be my focus, at least once a year, I need to see western expanses, the big sky, rugged topography, etc. I'll have my new Cannon camera. My Nikon bit the dust. I'll send images and narratives as Monica and I cross the country.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Don

Post by Don » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:06 pm

Bob-
Let's here about your new Canon...I just found out my precious Sony HX9V has been discontinued!
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:27 pm

Don,

It is a PowerShot SX260 HS. It features a 20x zoom and is 12.1 megapixels. I am not sure what I think at this point. My upcoming western trip will be the big test. Lots of bright colors, distant vistas, etc.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Rand

Post by Rand » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:55 pm

dbhguru wrote:Don,

It is a PowerShot SX260 HS. It features a 20x zoom and is 12.1 megapixels. I am not sure what I think at this point. My upcoming western trip will be the big test. Lots of bright colors, distant vistas, etc.

Bob
I'd review the section on exposure compensation/bracketing in your camera's manual before you go out there. When I was out there with you folks two summer's ago, the 'bright wide open vista's' gave my camera's automatic exposure fits. I had to screw up a batch of pictures before I figured out how to adjust it manually:
IMG_0745-2.jpg
IMG_0746.jpg
You can sorta fix it in software, but the sky wasn't white that day...
IMG_0745.jpg

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:14 pm

My camera wants to overexpose woodland scenes. They should be a little dimmer and moody. I have it set now to do exposure brackets above and below a -0.7 f-stop base value. It works better to lighten a slightly underexposed image than to try and fix an image with a burnt out sky.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “MA - Mohawk Trail State Forest”