Yep, another one, MTSF, MA

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Yep, another one, MTSF, MA

Post by dbhguru » Sun May 06, 2012 7:38 pm

NTS,

Yesterday I went to my forest Mecca, not satisfied that I had resolved the height of a pine I measured to 149.4 feet on April 30th. Below is a copy of the report I sent to selected people in DCR and others yesterday.
Today I returned to Mohawk to answer the big question. Is the white pine that I measured to 149.4 feet on April 30 possibly taller? I was fairly close to it when I got the 149.4 feet. (Dave, I told you 149.7, but made a mistake in my math.) My hypotenuse shot on the 30th was only 50 yards. But today after searching for about 15 minutes I found an acceptable location and marked the spot. I then went to the tree and placed a yellow marker at 7.4 feet above mid-slope. From the distant location I had marked I then got a hypotenuse distance of 63 yards to the crown. I moved forward slightly and still got 63, but couldn't see the crown spot as well. From the measurement location, I finally settled on a hypotenuse distance of 63.1 yards to the crown spot. I got measurements of between 44.1 and 44.3 degrees for the angle. Lots of shots were 44.2 degrees. So, 44.2 it was, the most prevalent return and also the average of the high and low. The yellow marker was 11.0 feet below eye level, determined with my TruPulse 360. But, I had to shift right to a location 0.5 feet lower than my spot to adequately see the marker (also determined with the 360). So from my location, eye to base was 7.4 + 0.5 + 11.0 = 18.9 feet and height above eye level was 63.1(3)sin(44.2)=132.0. The sum = 150.9 feet. However, I wasn't through. My Prostaff 440 tends to shoot long by 1.0 feet. So to be absolutely conservative, I subtracted a foot off the hypotenuse shot to get (63.1)(3) -1 = 188.3 feet. My height calculation then became 188.3sin(44.2)+18.9 = 150.2. Ah, we can all sleep at night. Number 125 confirmed.

The pine is quite attractive, so I named it "Purty Pine". We southerners can't say "Pretty". Images are attached. Oh yes, Purty Pine's girth is a modest 8.6 feet (31.7 in in diameter), but straight as an arrow.

So, now there are 5 pines in the Rachel Carson Grove that reach 150 feet. All others are in the 130s and 140s. However, one is 149.2 feet. It has a good chance of being a 150 by August.

MOHAWK RULES!!
Images of Purty Pine follow.
MTSF-PurtyPine-1-a.jpg
MTSF-PurtyPine-2-a.jpg
MTSF-PurtyPine-4-a.jpg
Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Joe

Re: Yep, another one, MTSF, MA

Post by Joe » Tue May 08, 2012 7:21 am

dbhguru wrote:NTS,

Yesterday I went to my forest Mecca
Bob
I believe that Bob secretly gets down to pray 5 times each day, facing the direction to MTSF, from wherever he happens to be. (ha, ha)
Joe

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue May 08, 2012 7:25 am

for those of you who haven't seen how excited Bob gets at his Mecca, view my video from 3 years ago: http://vimeo.com/6118369

Joe

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue May 08, 2012 7:28 am

dbhguru wrote:NTS,

Yesterday I went to my forest Mecca, not satisfied that I had resolved the height of a pine I measured to 149.4 feet on April 30th. Below is a copy of the report I sent to selected people in DCR and others yesterday.
Bob
Bob, other than the people who work at that park, do other DCR people, especially the bosses, show any interest?

Man, I wish when I worked at Savoy-Florida State Forest back in '73 or Oct. Mt. State Forest in '74, that I had met ANYBODY with such interests.
Joe

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue May 08, 2012 11:31 am

Joe,

Very interesting question. Today there are quite a few people in DCR that see MTSF for the gem it is. I am usually given credit for opening eyes. So now Mohawk definitely has its fans within DCR, and I think they are developing the same kind of prideful feelings that Monica and I share. It isn't about camping or access to the Deerfield River, it is about the trees, the old Indian trail, and the scenery. If we were to look deeper, we'd find that most of Mohawk's fans are in the Parks and Recreation side of the house.

One of my self-appointed missions has been to shine the spotlight on the most inspiring forests in the Bay State and to be uncompromising about pointing out which places are or are not exceptional, inspiring, etc. I don't mince words. I don't want to see an ordinary or even mediocre site elevated to the exceptional to win points with the public for an underlying economic objective. So, forest sites that may be touted by DCR, UMASS, etc. as great, such as the Quabbin Reservoir, well, I'm pretty blunt in my descriptions of those places. They're average at best, and mediocre at worst. So, why do they get so much promotion within DCR? Well, that's another story.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “MA - Mohawk Trail State Forest”