#124 - Honest, MTSF, MA

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

#124 - Honest, MTSF, MA

Post by dbhguru » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:20 pm

NTS,

I continue my quest of 150-foot pines in MTSF. Today, I found another. First, let's take a look.
MTSFLast150InRachel.jpg
MTSFNew150inRachel.jpg
MTSFNew150InRachel-1.jpg
This pine grows in the Rachel Carson area, and only 50 feet from the old Cold River Road. How could I have missed, you ask. Darn good question. I've walked by it a thousand times. Its current dimensions are girth = 9.0 feet, height = 154.6 feet. I've seen the pine since the late 1970s. It has been growing 10 to 12 inches per year. Assuming an average growth rate of 11 inches per year, in 1997 after I got my first Bushnell laser, the pine would have been 140.9 feet tall. I would not have found the top of this pine in those years. I would have likely measured it to around 135 feet. Somewhere I got it hardwired into my brain that the pines along the road corridor in the area weren't that tall.

Eventually, John Eichholz and I tagged one of the pines in the Rachel Carson area to 148+ feet. I begin paying attention. This year I remeasured that pine and it had reached the magic 150. Then I started hunting for the crowns of adjacent pines and found two more of over 150. That brought Rachel's total up to three. But last night, the Rachel Carson pines flashed in my mind. I felt the need to go back there. So, this morning off I went, and within five minutes of getting into the stand had another 150.

The Mohawk pines are considerably younger than Cook Forest's pines. They have lost of limbs and the hardwoods are often fairly dense in the vicinity. The visual cues are confusing. But they are confusing to all of us. Will Blozan has walked by that pine as has John Eichholz, Gary Beluzo, and others. I'm still trying to sort out why some pines show their heights very well and others don't. I would not be surprised if there isn't another 150 in that area.

Mohawk has between 2000 and 3000 mature white pines. I once thought I'd found every significant tree in the various named areas. I'm a humbler fellow now. There is still looking to be done, which brings me to the topic of search images. That will be the subject of a future post.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Re: #124 - Honest, MTSF, MA

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:08 pm

Bob, Congrats on your latest find. Now that you metioned it I have been in Tallahala Mgt. Area in central Ms., many times and yet I can still find a tall tree that I walked past before. I think maybe I look at all the trees in the location and not really pay attention to a specific tree. I wish I could spend as much time in the Forest as you. Someday! When I do get back to the Forest I will have to slowdown and see the one tree and not the whole Forest. Larry

Return to “MA - Mohawk Trail State Forest”