Todd and Thumper Mtn Old Growth, MTSF, MA

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Todd and Thumper Mtn Old Growth, MTSF, MA

Post by dbhguru » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:11 pm

NTS,

On Sunday and Monday, Monica and I stayed at Cabin 6 in MTSF. During this visit, we had several objectives to accomplish. One was to get better pictures of Thumper Mountain's old trees for the nature guide. A second objective was to climb Todd Mountain and descend off trail through the old growth and check on it. Thirdly, I planned to look for more 150s and remeasure existing one, and lastly, we planned to just soak up the pine, rock, and river energy. We were the only ones in the campground and the weather was idyllic.

The first image is from Thumper. An old white pine is perched on a rock. This photo is part of the tree-rock art that I enjoy so much and reflects so much of the magic of Mohawk's forests.
MTSF-ThumperRoots.jpg
A short distance from the cabin, there is a small leach field. One of the pines below the field is a 150. Naturally, I had to remeasure it. The Boulder Pine is on the left in the next image.
MTSF-BoulderPine-1.jpg
The next image has an arrow pointing to the absolute highest sprig of the Boulder Pine. Interestingly, the tangent method yields 146.4 feet for this pine instead of its true height of just 151 feet.
MTSF-BoulderPineTop.jpg
On the other side of the cabin, the high canopy part of the Pocumtuck Grove awaits a stroll of a few yards. Take that stroll, look up, and this is what you see. One of these canopy trees is a new 150. That's number 123!
MTSF-PocumtuckCanopy.jpg
Our big trek of the period was to the top of Todd Mtn and onto the old Indian Trail out to Indian Lookout, and then, down through the old growth in a rugged off-trail excursion. Our friend Ed Ritz joined us on the trek. The first image looks out over the Cold River Gorge from Indian Lookout. The gorge is roughly 1,000 feet deep. The English probably called it the Cold River Valley. The English were natural feature challenged when it came to naming landforms. Every land feature had to be named for a person or selected from a paltry number of descriptive choices.
MTSF-ColdRiverGeorge.jpg
The next image show Monica and Ed on the summit of Todd. The elevation is a modest 1,702 feet, but Todd rises 1,100 feet above the Deerfield River, and 1,000 feet above the Cold River. It is rugged terrain.
MTSF-ToddSummit.jpg
The next series of 5 images show the old growth on Todd. Hemlocks to 400 years in age, but more commonly 250 to 300. Black birch to 334 years, bit more commonly 200 to 275. Northern red oaks to 300, but more commonly 180 to 250. Great trees, great rocks, great views, and the old Indian trail at the top. Who could ask for more.
MTSF-ToddOG-1.jpg
MTSF-ToddOG-2.jpg
MTSF-ToddOG-3.jpg
MTSF-ToddOG-4.jpg
MTSF-ToddOG-5.jpg
Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

russ richardson

Re: Todd and Thumper Mtn Old Growth, MTSF, MA

Post by russ richardson » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:28 pm

Bob:

Excellent photos. It looks like you have had some incredible mosquito free time in the woods with sterling blue skies.

Lying ontop of the rocks on top of Todd Mountain on a sunny "winter" afternoon listening to the Cold River in the distance is about as good as it gets and I'm glad to see that the age of some of the trees up there has finally been verified.

Russ

RyanLeClair

Post by RyanLeClair » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:48 pm

Very cool, Bob. 123 150-footers!

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:21 am

Tom, Ryan, et al.

Monica and I are waist deep in trail guides, or I should say master guides from which DCR will extract material and format into usable guides. It is a partnership that has an extremely bright future. There will be a separate guide for each trail or trail segment. We recently completed a draft on a segment of the old Nature Trail. DCR suggested the trail name. Naturally, I obliged. Monica and I will continually refine this guide, but here is what the draft looks like at this point.

Bob
Attachments
MTSF-GreatPinesTrailDraft.docx
(4.9 MiB) Downloaded 116 times
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “MA - Mohawk Trail State Forest”