The pretty, the ugly, and the pretty ugly, MTSF, MA

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

The pretty, the ugly, and the pretty ugly, MTSF, MA

Post by dbhguru » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:50 am

NTS,

Gary Beluzo and I were in Mohawk last week looking at more features to showcase in the upcoming nature guide. The old Cold River Road passes by a white pine that you could walk by hardly noticing it as any thing special. I call it the Mirror Pine. It only reveals its considerable height from up a nearby hill - all 156 feet. Let's first look at it from a distance. It is in the center of the image. Gary is close by on the left.
MTSF-Mirror-1.jpg
Now closer with me in it for scale.
MTSF-Mirror-2.jpg
Seen at a short distance with a large snag in the foreground right.
MTSF-Mirror-3.jpg
Though it is not conspicuous among all the surrounding trees, this fine white pine qualifies as pretty by my standards. However, the decaying form of an old sugar maple on the former property of John Wheeler qualifies as ugly when you don't think of it as a sugar maple - just a form.
MTSF-SM-Old.jpg
What of the next form? Well, in my finest souther vernacular, I'd say it is pretty ding dang ugly. Holy smokes! I started with an image of the Mirror Pine, looking regal, and ended with the Squid Pine.
MTSF-WeevilPine.jpg
How about an NTS photo contest for the ugliest tree? I'm probably not supposed to think of any tree as ugly. My bad.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Lee Frelich

Re: The pretty, the ugly, and the pretty ugly, MTSF, MA

Post by Lee Frelich » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:51 pm

Bob:

Thats as close to a squid, or to one of those creatures from an Aliens movie, as a tree can probably ever get. However, I do feel sorry for the tree.

Lee

RyanLeClair

Re: The pretty, the ugly, and the pretty ugly, MTSF, MA

Post by RyanLeClair » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:03 pm

Here's a poor pine that got weevil'd. It might be the strangest white pine ever.

http://www.pabigtrees.com/tree_detail.a ... 4204941513

Return to “MA - Mohawk Trail State Forest”