Number 118, MTSF, MA

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Number 118, MTSF, MA

Post by dbhguru » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:06 pm

NTS,

Here is the text of a message sent to DCR. Afterwards - some images.
======================================================================
Hi Tim and Dave,

Yesterday Monica, Ed Ritz, and I visited MTSF to gather more information for the Nature Trail Guide that we'll be developing for DCR. Coming up the old Cold River Road from the lower meadow, I stopped to check on a tree that my friend John Eichholz measured some years in the past. The tree, a white pine, grows a short distance uphill from the Wheeler grave site. The pine was slightly over 148 feet in height at the time John measured it. Subsequently, I lost track of the tree, but relocated and measured it yesterday. I am pleased to report that it is now 151 feet in height. The second of the attached images shows the tree looking upward into its crown. Quite a sight. The pine's girth is a modest 8.5 feet, and I think, about 150 years old. I am calling the tree the Rachel Carson Pine, and it becomes the 118th pine in MTSF that achieves the height threshold of 150 feet. With the one 150-foot white ash in the Trout Brook watershed (assuming it is still standing), we have 119 reaching the 150-foot threshold in MTSF.

I used the pine to illustrate measuring challenge. The first attachment is an Excel spreadsheet created for Laser Technology Inc. (LTI) to show the difference between height determinations using the NTS sine-based method versus the built-in height routine for the TruPulse 200 and TruPulse 360. The built-in routine is the one commonly used to measure tree height, but suffers from an often fatal flaw. The tree-measuring workshop scheduled for Cook Forest on April 18-19 and the one being tentatively planned for MTSF in October will address the measuring challenges one encounters with trees of widely varying shapes, in challenge terrain, and growing in the open versus within a stand.

An updated list follows of sites in the Northeast with 150-foot white pines. I've restricted the list to those having at least 4 trees on a site that achieve the height threshold.

State Site # 150s

MA MTSF 118 (Will increase. Potential for over 150 within 10 years.)
PA Cook Forest SP 111 (Probably over 120 by now. Potential for more - needs to be assessed.))
NH Private 65 (Probably around 70 by now. Potential for 80 to 90.)
PA Hearts Content 19 (Likely to diminish in the future.)
MA Bryant Woods 15 (Likely to gradually increase, but will probably never exceed 20.)
PA Anders Run 7 (Potential for more - needs to be assessed.)
NY Elders Grove 7 (Likely will never exceed 10.)
MA Ice Glen 4 (Likely will never exceed 7 or 8.)

The above numbers identify the three white pine super sites in the Northeast: MTSF, Cook Forest SP, and the private site in NH. Cook Forest has the oldest and tallest trees of the three sites. Mohawk shows the most future potential. Mohawks pines have lots of growing left to do. Many have reached the big numbers, still exhibiting young bark characteristics on the upper part of their trunks and show healthy, bushy crowns. This leads me to believe that we are seeing the best that the species can achieve for the site conditions and age range. Dr. Lee Frelich projects a maximum height potential of 175 feet for the Mohawk Pines. I concur.
===================================================================

The Rachel Carson pine. It is a picture perfect pine.
MTSF-RachelCarsonPine.JPG
Monica, visiting one of her favorite haunts.
MTSF-CouncilPines.jpg
In the Algonquin Grove.
MTSF-DecontiePines.jpg
The pine in front of Cabin #6. I remeasured it from a new vantage point allowing me to see more of the crown. Height = 158.0 feet, girth = 8.7 feet. I carefully monitor this great pine. It has lots of growing left to do and its relatively protected location virtually guarantees that it will enter the 160 Club within 3 years, barring damage.
MTSF-CabinPine.jpg
Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Re: Number 118, MTSF, MA

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:31 pm

Bob, Very nice. The White Pines of New England continue to shine thanks to all your hard work and countless hours in the field. So Whites of Cook could reach 200 ft in the future? I think I saw you in a TV commercial with 13,13,13, miracle grow over at the Glen and MTSF fess up you put it on all the White Pines up in New England. You've have been doing it for years. Ha Ha Larry

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:29 am

Larry,

I doubt that Cook's or Mohawk's pines will reach 200 feet. More likely they will continue topping out at 170 to 180 feet. At 184.7 feet, the Longfellow Pine is the lone exception. Dr. Gordon Whiney, one of the best researchers around, states in his book "From Coastal Wilderness to Fruited Plain" that in times past the white pine occasionally reached 180 feet on very rare occasions 200. I think Gordon is dead on. There may have been a few 220-footers in PA and the southern Appalachians, but they would have been very rare. I consider the accounts of New Hampshire white pines reaching to 260 feet to be completely unreliable. Completely.

Larry, there's a Bob Leverett look alike running around the woods these days using Miracle Grow. He's the guilty one. I'm being falsely accused. Ain't fair. BTW, here are two more images from Mohawk featuring rocks instead of trees.
MTSF-RockLedge.jpg
MTSF-BigRock.jpg
Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

eliahd24

Post by eliahd24 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:56 am

These reports and pictures are fascinating. I really hope to make it to one of the great White Pine forests of the Northeast sometime soon. Great job as always.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:21 am

Eli,

If you can make it up, we'll be happy to put you up. In terms of white pine forests worth visiting around New England and eastern NY, here is a list of most of the best.

PA

Cook Forest SP
Hearts Content
Anders Run
(Dale Luthringer could add to the list, but the above are the best)

MA

MTSF
Bryant woods
Ice Glen
MSF

NY

Elders Grove
Pack Forest
Numerous small stands scattered across the Adirondacks

NH

Claremont Pines (private)
Hemmenway SF
Bradford Pines
College Pines

VT

Fisher-Scott Memorial Pines
Cambridge Pines

ME

Ordway Pines
Bowdoin College Pines

CT

Gold Pines
Ballyhack
Cathedral Pines (what's left)

There are numerous smaller areas that feature fine stands of pines. Mount Tom SR in MA is an example. I'm incredibly fortunate to be close to some of the best of the best.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Return to “MA - Mohawk Trail State Forest”