Next Trail Guide for MTSF

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Next Trail Guide for MTSF

Post by dbhguru » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:04 pm

NTS,

Today Monica and I went to MTSF to begin putting together a trail guide for the park's nature trail. We discussed the project with Park supervisor Dave Miller who needs the guide. People come and ask where they can walk with relative ease for a couple of hours. The answer is the Nature Trail. However, the route isn't as exciting as other areas. Still there is a lot of interpretation that can be done. Below are some images from along the path.
MTSF-HQ-Road.jpg
MTSF-HM-RM-Fusion.jpg
MTSF-FrogPond.jpg
MTSF-BlackOak.jpg
MTSF-BLCT-Bob.jpg
I hope my fellow and lady Ents will pitch in and offer suggestions on interpretation. I'll start the ball rolling with images and provide some preliminary information to set the stage. Maybe some of you all can suggest interpretive material/ideas. It would be really something if we could make this an NTS project. I'm not trying to get out of work, but combining the talents of NTS members could lead to a spectacular product.

BTW, the last image is of a black locust with a black birch growing up through a decayed area. The black locust is 14.0 feet around and 83 feet tall.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

edfrank

Re: Next Trail Guide for MTSF

Post by edfrank » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:09 pm

Interpret away Bob. One thing worth mentioning might be the different textures found in the bark of different types of trees. it is something that many tree people take for granted, but not so for the general public. Look for stuff that might interest a novice as opposed to just stuff that might interest a tree expert.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:42 pm

Bob,

I will be glad to help. I just don't know what to do from this distance except perhaps comment on the descriptions as the guide is being written.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:28 pm

Bob, History of the site location, types of trees, plants, animals etc. Maybe heights, cir., of some of the larger trees. How the Forest has evolved into what you see today. Any Champion trees noted and rarest plants, etc. Maybe a number system at certain key trees and plants with a description of each. Is this the type of things you are looking for? Like Frank said not being there it's difficult to help. Larry

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:12 am

Ed, Larry,

I understand where you are coming from. What I'm looking for is help in matching the comments to the photo. Are there other items of interest that the photo suggests? Also, are my interpretive comments sufficient? For example, the 4th image I presented showed black oak bark from one of the very few black oaks in Mohawk. I'm sure many Ents have contributions to make in describing black oak bark, habitat, etc. Even though you all weren't physically present when the photo was taken, you all are imminently qualified to pass judgement on my interpretive comments and suggest improvements/additions. That's what I meant to convey.

I believe this can be made the Cadillac of interpretive guides and a model for other guides.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:31 pm

Bob,

We can do this. I think the best way to proceed would be for you to provide a sequence of photos of the trail and a skeletal framework telling us what we are looking at. Then we can add additional observations and expand upon the bare bones framework. What tree species are being shown in the photo? How long is the trail? etc. Are there any outstanding features that really jump out at you or definitely need mentioning?

Ed

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:45 pm

Ed,

Super. This is what I was looking for. I'll provide plenty of photos and an orientation to each. It will be an interesting experiment.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:00 am

hmmmm..... a YouTube video of each trail? With Bob, of course, doing the discussion?
Joe

Return to “MA - Mohawk Trail State Forest”