Start of new project with DCR

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Re: Start of new project with DCR

Post by dbhguru » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:47 pm

Chris,

Thanks so much. This is just the kind of feedback I was looking for. Everyone of your points/suggestions is important. I'll work them in and submit a new draft. I also have suggestions from my evolutionary biologist friend Dr. Steve Tilley. He plans to add some material on salamanders. I very much hope we can turn this and other trail guides into an NTS-wide project where we all participate. There would be nothing like it anywhere on the Internet. Nobody deals with the trees the way we do, and if we add information from other disciplines, then we can make a series of tree-based trail guides like no others.

Thanks again.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:53 am

NTS,

Any thoughts about the following suggestion made in my prior posting?

I very much hope we can turn this and other trail guides into an NTS-wide project where we all participate. There would be nothing like it anywhere on the Internet. Nobody deals with the trees the way we do, and if we add information from other disciplines, then we can make a series of tree-based trail guides like no others.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:12 pm

Bob, Your drafts are very good. Maybe some brief descriptions of some of the more common plants and animals you may encounter on the trails could be added in. I guess it depends on how deep you want to go. Larry

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:32 am

NTS,

Monica and I have continued working on the draft trail guide on the Elders Grove and are getting good feedback from DCR. I think we are really going to make a dent this time. It's a lot of fun to walk a tree trail with the serious objective of writing a good guide. The DCR project is still in its infancy, but shows great promise. We've all seen the official trail guides created by interpretive staffs. The interpreters always mean well, but often shoot for a 7th or 8th grade level. We can do better.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:20 pm

Bob,

You are the perfect man to write the guidebooks for trails at MTSF. Nobody else knows the forest there as well as you and loves it as much as you. I wrote a detailed trail guide for the "Paved Trail" at Cook Forest, but the DNCR was not interested in making a written copy available for users. Dale and I did manage to get them to actually add the trail to their leaflet listing the trails in the park and Dale got the maintenance to create some log benches for people to rest along the trail path. http://www.nativetreesociety.org/fieldt ... _trail.htm This was my first try at something like this and I a sure I could do a better job now. I wanted to have something for people who had difficulty walking. There are actually some good sized trees along this path.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:55 am

Ed,

Here is the latest version of the trail brochure. I think it is as large as it should get. Other trails or sections of trails in Mohawk have less to offer and won't take up much space. I hope to get other folks involved in the guide series and use lots of images that show other people.

Bob
Attachments
INTERPRETIVE SUBMISSION-ed-2.docx
(3.8 MiB) Downloaded 87 times
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:42 am

dbhguru wrote:Ed,

Here is the latest version of the trail brochure. I think it is as large as it should get. Other trails or sections of trails in Mohawk have less to offer and won't take up much space. I hope to get other folks involved in the guide series and use lots of images that show other people.

Bob
Bob, some of the photos seem way too blue- that should be fixable using Photoshop.
Joe

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:22 pm

Joe,

The day was dark and a blue cast semms to be the result with my camera. I'm going to take new photos. I don't have photoshop.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:40 pm

dbhguru wrote:Joe,

The day was dark and a blue cast semms to be the result with my camera. I'm going to take new photos. I don't have photoshop.

Bob
Bob, I suggest the problem is severe enough it should be resolved- either a setting, or the flash wasn't working, or you could purchase an add on flash with more power- or buy a better camera. The color should never be off that much- even if dark, it should just look dark.

The next best thing to Photoshop, which is overpriced is Paint Shop Professional which is available for roughly $50-100. It's good for fixing color when it's not off too much. I tried adjusting the color of one of your photos with that software with no luck- it's off too much and my skill with program is limited.

Joe

Chris

Post by Chris » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:18 am

GIMP is a pretty good free replacement for Photoshop [especially if you haven't used photoshop]. Below is the first image I just very quickly tested out removing the blue. I am sure spending a bit more time tweaking stuff, it could be better than my quick attempt.
Attachments
de-blue.jpg

Return to “MA - Mohawk Trail State Forest”