#117 and climbing

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

#117 and climbing

Post by dbhguru » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:09 pm

NTS,

Today I took a small group from the New England Wild Flower Society on a trek to the northern end of MTSF and back through the Elders Grove. At the northern end of Mohawk, I re-measured Lonesome pine. Last year it entered the 150 Club. It is now a solid 151 feet. The confirmation put me in a good mood. As we drifted back in a down stream direction, I checked on a tall white ash that I keep tabs on. It is slightly over 142 feet as best as I can determine this time of year with full foliage. Here's looking up at the tall white ash tree. I'll re-measure when the leaves are off.
MTSF-WA-142.jpg
I next went to the largest white ash I know of in Mohawk. It is dying back, a little more each year. It is 13.1 feet around, but down to 104 feet in height. It was once slightly over 130.
MTSF-WA.jpg
We then went to the Elders Grove. I re-measured the Crazy Horse Pine. It enters the 150 Club at 150.2 feet. Its girth is 11.1 feet. Here are some of the group members around Crazy Horse.
MTS-Elders-CrazyHorse.jpg
Crazy Horse becomes the 13th white pine in the Elders Grove to reach 150 feet and the 117th in MTSF. Now that is what I call a good tree day.

Tomorrow Monica and I head for the Adirondacks for some canoeing and big tree hunting.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Re: #117 and climbing

Post by Larry Tucei » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:29 pm

Bob, Mohawk rules, when it come to White Pines! Man 142 that's a tall Ash. Congrats on you hard work with Mohawk. 117 Wow! I better get to measuring some more 20'+ LIve Oaks before you pass me up. Larry

dbhguru

Re: #117 and climbing

Post by dbhguru » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:18 am

Larry,

We may have lost a 150 or even 2 in the Cold River Floods. It will take me some time before I can work my way up to the black Brook area where the last 150 going west grows. There is a 6-mile stretch of Route #2 that is toast.

In terms of future 150s, it is going to take about 3 years for a goodly number of great whites to move into the zone. However, there are around 300 whites over 140 in Mohawk, so in 5 or 6 years, it will be awash in new 150s.

I have confidence that you'll ferret out a host of new 20-footer live oaks. You have a huge territory to cover through. Time and money,

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “MA - Mohawk Trail State Forest”