Tecumseh

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Tecumseh

Post by dbhguru » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:41 am

NTS,

Yesterday Bart Bouricius, Brian Hawthorne (prof at Hampshire College), Monica, and yours truly went to the Elders grove in MTSF. I had one objective and that was to re-measure Tecumseh, the largest and second tallest of the big pines in the grove. With my buddy Bart to help, we had a good chance of re-measuring Tecumseh. Under the thick summer canopy, one doesn't have much chance seeing the top and bottom of Tecumseh, but with two people, the picture changes. Bart established himself at the base and gave me a target to shoot at. I found a peephole to the top. I had to shoot from 84 yards. However, when through, the calculations support and end of growing season 166.0 feet. I didn't remeasure the girth. It won't be but about 0.04 feet more. Tecumseh is doing most of its growing aloft. The height measurement may be a slightly liberal determination, but I'm going with it until the fall.

When we got to the Elders Grove, a couple was sitting at the base of the Sitting Bull tree. The husband of the couple asked me if I was looking for the big trees and I explained that we measure them. He asked me if I knew about a group called the eastern Native Tree Society. The rest is history. You can imagine who burst forth with details aplenty. But the story goes further. It turns out that the wife had been Bart's father's nurse at one point. Also, Bart had just made a telephone arrangement to work on one of the couple's trees the following day. Small world.

Ed,

Your fabulous Internet creations are doing the job. We are reaching more and more folks.

Oh yes, Tecumseh was happy to be remeasured. How do I know? Well, ya gotta speak white pine to get the message. But it came through loud and clear in my ear. I'm sure I heard correctly.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

James Parton

Re: Tecumseh

Post by James Parton » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:32 am

Bob,

I am sure no one here speaks white pine better than you!

JP
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

jamesrobertsmith

Re: Tecumseh

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:54 am

That's a great story! People who love trees are the best!

Return to “MA - Mohawk Trail State Forest”