Saheda remeasured

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Saheda remeasured

Post by dbhguru » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:16 pm

NTS,

Today I tackled the task of re-measuring Saheda, the second tallest tree in New England. Saheda is located in the Elders Grove of MTSF. First a look at the big pine.
Saheda-2.jpg
Saheda-3.jpg
Saheda-4.jpg
Saheda-1.jpg
Today's mission was almost aborted when I couldn't find a peephole in the dense canopy. However, I persisted and luck eventually was with me. I planted myself in the lone spot where I could see the top and an orange reflective marker that I had put on the truck 6 feet above mid-slope. I would have been totally dead in the water without the Nikon 440. Shooting to the crown, I got multiple laser returns, some of 66.5 and some of 67 yards. I eventually elected to use the average of 66.75 yards at an angle of 43.6 degrees. The distance to the reflective marker was a constant 47.5 yards at -9.3 degrees. So the two components plus the 6.0-foot distance from the marker to mid-slope yields 167.1 feet. I'll take it. The girth is 11.75 feet based on where will placed the pin for 4.5 feet above mid-slope when he last climbed the tree. Saheda is a great tree. Its crown looked healthy from a distance. Long live Saheda. As I get the time, I'll re-measure the tall trees in Mohawk and Monroe in descending order of height.

It had rained in night before and the forest had a fresh look. Saheda is truly one of New England's great trees. Its radial growth is slow. It may never fully reach 12 feet in girth, although I expect it to, but not for another 8 years.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Will Blozan

Re: Saheda remeasured

Post by Will Blozan » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:13 pm

Bob,

Saheda is one of my favorite trees in Mohawk. Thanks for the update. How is Techumsah (sp) doing?

Will

Rand

Post by Rand » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:31 pm

Nice tree. When and what were the last measurements again?

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:56 am

Will,

I can't see the top of Tecumseh this time of year. I'll not even try to re-measure until mid-October. When I get some equipment that Michael Taylor is shipping me, I'll be in position to fine tune distances and angles for both trees when I can see their tops really well. I expect that Tecumseh will be around 165.5 feet, maybe a little more. I don't expect it to reach 166 until next year.

Rand,

Both Saheda and Tecumseh have complicated tops, so measuring them from the ground is always a challenge. Will and Bart can confirm what I've just said from their climbs. However, repeated measurements last year supported a height of around 166.5 feet for Saheda, as of the end of last year's growing season. In my many measurements, I consistently got anywhere from 166.2 to 166.8 feet. I arbitrarily chose one measurement that came to 166.4 feet, but had the cited range from which I could have chosen. The average of the measurements was around 166.5 feet, which is also the averages of the lower and upper range. This year Saheda grew well. That is clear looking through binoculars. So, I'm reasonably comfortable with the 167.1-foot figure I got. It could be as low as 166.9 or as high as 167.3, although I doubt the high end more than the low end, because of the annual growth rate the high end would imply.

My game plan for Mohawk and Monroe this fall is to work my way down the list of the tallest, measuring in descending order as I go. It is one way to keep attention focused on what we have. Dribble out the news tree at a time. People become more curious about what and why. One big, long list is summarily sent to the trash heap. Gotta be clever about how one goes about keeping attention on the fabulous trees.

Here is a final look at Saheda, up close and personal.
Saheda.jpg
Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:50 am

Bob,

Somehow the white pines are not the same since the tulips have beaten them. :-(

I like tuliptrees but there is something about those Great Whites I love!
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Return to “MA - Mohawk Trail State Forest”