Jake Asserts His Dominance

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Jake Asserts His Dominance

Post by dbhguru » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:29 pm

NTS,

Today I returned to MTSF to re-measure New England's flagship tree, the Jake Swamp white pine. I'm pleased to report that Jake grew quite nicely this summer in Monica's and my absence. After 3 measurements, I settled on 169.6 feet. Here are several images from today. The first three feature the Jake tree. The last shows Monica in the upper meadow.
Jake-1.jpg
Jake-2.jpg
Jake-3.jpg
Meadow-2.jpg
Even though Monica and I saw many scenic wonders on our 8,700-mile trek, Mohawk has not lost a thing. It weaves its magic through the rustling of its stately pines. I have a lot of measuring to catch up on.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

AndrewJoslin

Re: Jake Asserts His Dominance

Post by AndrewJoslin » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:18 pm

Welcome back, great photos from Mohawk. I can't believe Jake's not at 170'! Almost there.
-AJ

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:58 pm

Andrew,

Last year we adjusted the point that we are calling mid-slope to utilize with the Blozan method for determining the location of mid-slope. Our adjustment raised the point about 0.5 feet. Under the old system, Jake would be 170.1 feet, but fair is fair. So we must wait another year for Jake's official party. In the meantime do you have in extra Miracle-gro? Oops, did I say that?

When the weather cools down, I hope to get out and seriously search for more large white pines in western Mass. The great whites are truly our flagship species. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I am so fortunate to live within 50 miles of the all Massachusetts stands of pines reaching the magic threshold of 150 feet, with the closest ones only 22 miles away.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:06 pm

Bob,

What are you calling the Blozan Method and how does it differ from what you had previously been doing?

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

AndrewJoslin

Post by AndrewJoslin » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:26 pm

dbhguru wrote:Last year we adjusted the point that we are calling mid-slope to utilize with the Blozan method for determining the location of mid-slope. Our adjustment raised the point about 0.5 feet. Under the old system, Jake would be 170.1 feet, but fair is fair. So we must wait another year for Jake's official party. In the meantime do you have in extra Miracle-gro? Oops, did I say that?
Ok, the "baseline" readjustment caused the shortfall. I'd really expected Jake to go over 170' this year so I wasn't far off in thinking that it would.

Ya I wasn't going to say anything but rumor had it a shadowy ninja figure was photographed with special infrared equipment pouring miracle grow around Jake during a midnight full moon last Fall. A later review of the photos showed it was actually a black bear scratching its back on the venerable Jake! I was relieved to find out no such artificial amendments occurred! For the record, any natural fertilizer deposition by black bear is totally legit.
-AJ

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:31 pm

Andrew,

I am relieved. Black bear fertilizer indeed is legitimate. Where can we find a good dozen bruins with loose bowels?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Return to “MA - Mohawk Trail State Forest”