Tim's Photographic Prowess

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Tim's Photographic Prowess

Post by dbhguru » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:02 am

ENTS,

On Wednesday, I met District manager Tim Zelazo at MTSF and we looked at Americorp's efforts to improve a trail into the Trout Brook area of Mohawk. Tim had his camera and was ready to document scenes. he hadn't seen the Madison and Jefferson pine, so they were a priority. here is a look at yours truly remeasuring the Jefferson Pine.
Picture 4.jpg
The big pine has a nice growth candle. I now have it as 144.2 feet in height and depending on where mid-slope is placed, 12.4 or 12.5 feet in girth. Higher on the ridge, the Madison Pine rivals Jefferson. Its stats are 12.0 feet in girth at between 152 and 153 feet in height. These pines certainly caught Tim's eye, but he was particularly attracted to a slender pine near Jefferson. It is arrow straight and the very appearance of vitality. It is a young tree, only 7.4 feet in girth. See next shot.
Picture 6.jpg
This fine tree is quite young, but is already 148.6 feet in height. It will likely join the 150 Club in 2 or 3 years. Lastly, Tim took a shot of white ash trees with soaring trunks. It is all second growth, but impressive. The Trout Brook ash trees are visions of loveliness, and this watershed is where the 152.5-foot ash grows.
Picture 5.jpg
I have been experimenting with a format to present the features and attributes of MTSF in a way as to facilitate their evaluation and comparison. The attached Excel spreadsheet is my first attempt. The features have not been prioritized. I'm unsure if this approach will work except as a convenient way of listing features that I personally consider important. However, I think Tim likes what has been done so far.

Bob
Attachments
MTSFAttributes.xls
(24.5 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Re: Tim's Photographic Prowess

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:29 am

Bob, The great White Pine Saga continues. Wonderful shots of Bob the Math, Pine man doing what he loves. I never get tired of seeing your posts on the fantastic Whites of New England. I wish I could be with you. Larry

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:20 am

Larry,

Thanks, buddy. I love sharing. The white pine is unquestionably the flagship tree species of New England. No other species advertises the region like the great whites or has such an prominent history unless it is the sugar maple. But only the great whites keep New England in the tall tree competition.

Here is another Tim Zelazo special. It is an image Tim took at the Eastern Summit of the Mohawk Trail yesterday morning. The road then descends into MTSF. Tim labeled the image "Mohawk Fog".
EasternSummitMTSF.jpg

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:32 am

dbhguru wrote:Larry,

Thanks, buddy. I love sharing. The white pine is unquestionably the flagship tree species of New England. No other species advertises the region like the great whites or has such an prominent history unless it is the sugar maple. But only the great whites keep New England in the tall tree competition.

Here is another Tim Zelazo special. It is an image Tim took at the Eastern Summit of the Mohawk Trail yesterday morning. The road then descends into MTSF. Tim labeled the image "Mohawk Fog".
EasternSummitMTSF.jpg

Bob
too bad millions of white pine are severaly damaged by the white pine weevil- I don't know if anyone or group has ever tried to do anything about this problem- I think most of the big pines you see, Bob, date from before the time of the weevil- the pines might survive just as long, but they sure'll look ugly by comparison
Joe

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:38 am

Joe,

There is a mix of ages, some before and some after. There are weevil pines in places within Mohawk. Then there are the non-weevil pines. They're the beauties, as we'd both agree.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:11 pm

Larry Tucei wrote:Bob, The great White Pine Saga continues. Wonderful shots of Bob the Math, Pine man doing what he loves. I never get tired of seeing your posts on the fantastic Whites of New England. I wish I could be with you. Larry

I second that Larry! I never tire of Bob's posts. He's gotta be the most active, and enviable, member of ENTS. Way to go Bob!
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:51 am

James,

Thanks much. In a few hours Monica and I head west. We'll post as often as we can with plenty of images. We're going north into Canada and stay fairly far north. It is a trip we've both wanted to make for a long time.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Don

Post by Don » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:53 pm

Bob-
I 'watched' your progress in measuring the 'big un', and think that it, or trees like it make for an excellent example for a tree measuring (dbh) 'page'...any ten randomly selected tree measurers wouldn't necessarily have the same "tape path". Delineating where you found the 'root collar' or 'seed height' might as well be widely discussed...;>)
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:37 pm

Don,

Yes, there is much to discuss on that topic. Certainly, we need one-pagers on the topic for your website.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Marcboston

Post by Marcboston » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:29 pm

I love the picture "Mohawk Fog" I did not realize that you could get vistas like that in MSF. I really have to get out there.

Return to “MA - Mohawk Trail State Forest”