Algonquin Grove Update

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Algonquin Grove Update

Post by dbhguru » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:29 pm

ENTS,

Today I took advantage of the good weather and went to the Algonquin Grove in MTSF. My task was to complete the inventory and measurement of the groves tallest trees. I previously had identified 12 150-foot white pines in the Algonquin Grove. Today I added 2 more. I'm now up to 94 150s in all Mohawk. There are at least 5 149s that should make 150 by the end of this growing season, so the number of 150s could reach 100 by August. The number of 140s is huge. Within Mohawk there are probably between 250 and 300 140+ white pines. I may never confirm them all, but it won't be for lack of trying. Documenting the exceptional nature of MTSF is a mission, if not obsession of mine.

Tomorrow, Bart Bouricius and I will return to the Algonquin and finish the job. I'm hoping for at least 1 more 150. We'll see.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

James Parton

Re: Algonquin Grove Update

Post by James Parton » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:45 pm

Bob,

That many 150s is awesome. I have so hard of a time around here just finding one. But if I would spend more time in the Smokies I am sure that would rapidly change. Sometimes an obsession is good. Especially in this case.

Good hunting.

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Return to “MA - Mohawk Trail State Forest”