Another Milestone - MTSF Now Has 10 Pines Over 160'

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Another Milestone - MTSF Now Has 10 Pines Over 160'

Post by dbhguru » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:55 pm

ENTS,

Although the weather was threatening, Monica and I went to MTSF today. I wanted to check on a pine in the Pocumtuck Grove that I had gotten measurements between 158 and 159 feet going into this growing season. Well, I came away with 160.2 feet after repeatedly shooting the tree. It grew well and joins the 160 Club. Mohawk now has 10 pines that are over 160. The tree measures a modest 8.0 feet in girth. It is the tallest tree in the Pocumtuck Grove and spreads the locations of the 160s more broadly.

Here are two images taken in the Upper Meadow just before a downpour. The first shows Monica. We're headed toward the Algonquin Pines. We reached them and it started thundering and lightning and we beat a hasty retreat.
MonicaInUpperMeadow1Small.jpg
The big bluestem is coming along fine. Reminds me of our visit to the Tall Grass Prairie Preserve.
BigBluestem1Small.jpg
Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

edfrank

Re: Another Milestone - MTSF Now Has 10 Pines Over 160'

Post by edfrank » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:20 pm

Bob,

Congratulations on number 10 at MTSF. I look forward to more discoveries as you get back into the eastern swing of things. Keep us all posted on your adventures. Perhaps we can start a superhero comic book for you - we first need to figure out your superpower and your sidekick Monica needs a superpower also.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

dbhguru

Re: Another Milestone - MTSF Now Has 10 Pines Over 160'

Post by dbhguru » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:09 am

Ed,

Monica's superpower probably rests in her being able to keep me from measuring every single tree in Mohawk. Oops, wait, I've done that. I'll have to reconsider. To be sure, though, she has super powers. Her Sunday concert was a smashing success. How she can remember all those notes is beyond me.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “MA - Mohawk Trail State Forest”