Deerfield River-Hurricane Aftermath

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Deerfield River-Hurricane Aftermath

Post by dbhguru » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:04 pm

ENTS,

Sarah Bellows from MTSF forwarded me these images of the Deerfield River, post Irene. They are taken from Route #2. Mohawk Trail State Forest got hit hard. I don't know what the damage is, but I'm told that the picnic area doesn't exist any more. And several campsites no longer exist. I don't know how much damage is wind versus water. Tomorrow, I'll walk into the area. Route #2 is closed in the vicinity of Mohawk. I'll have walk in from about two miles down the road. Here are the images.
Deerfield-1.jpg
Deerfield-2.jpg
Monica and I did check on Bryant Woods. They came through in flying colors. In fact I confirmed another 150 today. That makes 12 for Bryant. I'll ride the emotional high until tomorrow when I see mohawk. I'll report on the devastation tomorrow evening.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

James Parton

Re: Deerfield River-Hurricane Aftermath

Post by James Parton » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:42 pm

Bob,

I hope those tall pines in the ENTS and Elders groves pulled through. Weather can be hard on tall pines. Look what happened to the Cathedral pines in Connecticut and the Boogerman Pine in the Smokies.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:15 am

dbhguru wrote:ENTS,

Sarah Bellows from MTSF forwarded me these images of the Deerfield River, post Irene. They are taken from Route #2. Mohawk Trail State Forest got hit hard. I don't know what the damage is, but I'm told that the picnic area doesn't exist any more. And several campsites no longer exist. I don't know how much damage is wind versus water. Tomorrow, I'll walk into the area. Route #2 is closed in the vicinity of Mohawk. I'll have walk in from about two miles down the road. Here are the images.
Deerfield-1.jpg
Deerfield-2.jpg
Monica and I did check on Bryant Woods. They came through in flying colors. In fact I confirmed another 150 today. That makes 12 for Bryant. I'll ride the emotional high until tomorrow when I see mohawk. I'll report on the devastation tomorrow evening.

Bob
wow, access to MTSF closed!- now THAT is a CATASTROPHE! (being a wise ass)
Joe

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:29 am

James,

A couple more images sent to me by Tim Zelazo offers hope. The rains were torrential and the flooding epic. Charlemont was evacuated on Sunday. However, one image from the Mohawk Campground showed one of the large campground pines still standing in the middle of what had been a torrent. If the winds weren't too bad, then the big stuff may just have survived. I'll have some images tonight. It is going to be a long walk in. Sore feet.

On the positive side, here are images from Bryant from yesterday. All is well there.
BW-HM-1.jpg
BW-RM-1.jpg
BW-WPLog.jpg
BW-YB.jpg
BW-WPs-1.jpg
BW-Rivulet.jpg
Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:43 am

Bob, It's amazing how much damage even a smaller storm can do. I hope all your special places did well. We were all worried down here about the effect on New England and the Carolinas, from the impact of Hurricane, Tropical storm Irene. It could have been much worse. I wonder how Congaree did? Larry

Rand

Post by Rand » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:31 pm

Larry Tucei wrote: I wonder how Congaree did? Larry
I would imagine they did okay. Looks like they were just barely grazed by the storm:
Irene wind field history.jpg
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2011/gr ... op_S.shtml

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:43 pm

Randy, Thanks, I wasn't sure how far inland the winds would be damaging. From the data it looks like they would have had northeast winds. Larry

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:25 pm

Larry, Rand, et al,

I am very happy to report that the big trees of Mohawk gave Irene the cold shoulder. On our way to the Trees of Peace, we inspected the big trees of the Elders Grove. Osceola, just uphill from Tecumseh, joins the 160 club. That makes an even dozen 160s in Mohawk.

In the Trees of Peace, Jake shrugged off the wind and rain with no apparent damage. Here is a telephoto shot of Jake's crown. The two distinctive leaders are the high points. The one on the right is the 169.6-foot spike. You can see that Jake grew well.
MTSF-JakesTop.jpg
After determining that Jake made it , I remeasured the companion Joe Norton Pine. It is now 165.4 feet by my latest measurement. So the line up looks like this as a consequence of this year's re-measurements.

Jake 169.6
Saheda 167.1
Tecumseh 166.0
Joe 165.4

The damage in Mohawk is restricted to the corridor along the Cold River. The severity of which remains to be determined. However, I can sleep tonight.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Rand

Post by Rand » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:39 pm

dbhguru wrote:Larry, Rand, et al,

I am very happy to report that the big trees of Mohawk gave Irene the cold shoulder.
Yay!

Here's a map of the rainfall totals from Irene:
Irene rain.png
Irene rain.png (188.06 KiB) Viewed 2814 times
Looks like the storm was winding down by the time it got to New England, but they'd received heavy rain the week before so it all turned into runoff.

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/weathe ... -irene.asp

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:38 pm

Bob,

I am glad the sacred groves of MTSF fared well. That had me a bit worried.

Give them a " congrats " from me!
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Return to “Massachusetts”