Dorsey Branch, near Glenwood, Maryland

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

tsharp

Dorsey Branch, near Glenwood, Maryland

Post by tsharp » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:29 pm

NTS:
While visiting relatives in central Maryland in November of 2011, I measured some tree along a small stream called Dorsey Branch. I was quite familiar with the since I grew up on an adjacent dairy farm. The area does not have too many dairy farms anymore but is instead studded with McMansions.
Dorsey Branch goes into Cattail Creek which goes into the Triadelphia Reservoir on the Patuxent River. The reservoir is part of the water supply system for the northern suburbs of Washington, DC area. For about one half mile downstream of the Shady Lane bridge over Dorsey branch the area proved too rocky for the plough and as a result has some nice trees. Cattle did have access to part of the area but from looks of what I could see of the understory they must have been excluded for the past 30 or more years. It is entirely private property with at least 6 different owners. Unfortunately I did not have time to get prior approval and was limited in what I could measure. I did get to measure some Yellow-poplars (L. tulipifera) and one White Oak (Q. alba). The two largest Tuliptrees were 10.8’ CBH X 132.5’ height and 12.7’ X 107.5’ The rest of the measurements may be found at:

http://alpha.treesdb.org/Browse/Sites/1220/Details

I was able to get some additional height shots at a distance of 200 yards that indicated there would be some 140-150’ class trees further downstream but will have to get landowner permission before I will be able to verify them.
TS
Last edited by tsharp on Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris

Re: Dorsey Branch, near Glenwood, Maryland

Post by Chris » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:22 pm

Pretty nice site. Patches like this remind me how many sites like this exist that only a few locals would know about.

and here is the correct link
http://alpha.treesdb.org/Browse/Sites/1220/Details

tsharp

Re: Dorsey Branch, near Glenwood, Maryland

Post by tsharp » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:53 am

Chris: Thanks for correcting the URL link. You beat Ed - I am impressed! I also edited the original post.
TS

Return to “Maryland”