Live Oaks in Vacherie Louisiana Part III Felicity Plantation

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Live Oaks in Vacherie Louisiana Part III Felicity Plantation

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:38 am

NTS, I had made an appointment to visit St. Joseph Plantation after I finished up at Oak Alley. Denise Borell the acting Director met up with me and we talked about the Plantation and great Live Oak trees. St. Joseph the 2500 acre active Sugar Plantation has a sister Mansion Felicity on the property and Denise had to go over there and asked me would I like to measure the Live Oaks. She explained that I wouldn't be able to get there without her and this would be a good time to do it, " I said lets go". We drove East a short distance though the property and arrived at Felicity Mansion and immediately I knew several of their Live Oaks would make the Live Oak Project Listing. After measuring the 6 largest Live Oaks 5 of them made the Listing. The St. Joseph property has 12 Live Oaks registered in 2002 with the Louisiana Live Oak Society and I believe 5-6 of those are growing here. The rest are growing at St. Joseph Mansion and I will go back down and Document those on a later visit. I'll call these Oaks Felicity Oaks for now until Denise, the staff and I can figure out which tree belongs to what registered name. I have the names of the trees and gave her a copy; somehow the names had been misplaced. Saturin Waguespack bought the property in 1889 and his descendants still own the property. In 2005, The St. Joseph Plantation recently was restored by members of the Waguespack, Simon Families and is open for tours seven days a week. I n 1907, Waguespack merged Felicity with St. Joseph (in which he had previously owned a one-third interest, along with two cousins) to form the St. Joseph Planting and Mfg. Corp. http://www.stjosephplantation.com/ Felicity is located at coordinates 30°0'19"N 90°45'55"W along the Ms. River. The movie Skeleton Key was filmed here as well as the 2012 Brad Pit Movie 12 years a Slave. Felicity was built in 1846 and was a wedding gift to Emma Felicite Aime from her father, Valcour Aime the wealthiest man in all of the south. He was sometimes called the Louis XIV of Louisiana. One of the tracts he once owned now holds Oak Alley. Aime bought that property in 1820 and gave it to his wife’s brother, Jacques Telespore Roman. All of these Plantations have very close ties to one another. The Live Oaks at Felicity were I would think around the time of construction of the Mansion making the trees somewhere around 160-170 years old. The measurements of the Live Oaks at the Mansion are Felicity Oak A, CBH- 22’, Height- 55.5’ and Spread-99’ x 96’. Felicity Oak B, CBH- 22’ 2”, Height-70’ and Spread 138’ x 106’. Felicity Oak C, CBH-22’ 7”, Height-75’ and Spread-139.5’ x 130.5’. Felicity Oak D, CBH-17’, Heght-70’ and Spread-123’ x 120’. Felicity Oak E measured CBH-19’ 4”, Height-66.5’ and Spread- 126’ x 102’. Oak F measured CBH- 21’ 1”, Height-75’ and Spread- 124’ x 115’. Larry
Attachments
Felicity Mansion
Felicity Mansion
Felicity Mansion 2
Felicity Mansion 2
Felicity Oak 1
Felicity Oak 1
Oak 1a
Oak 1a
Oak 2
Oak 2
Oak 2a
Oak 2a
Oak 3
Oak 3
Oak 3a
Oak 3a
Oaks 4 & 5
Oaks 4 & 5
Oak 4
Oak 4
Oak 4a
Oak 4a
Oak 5
Oak 5

dbhguru

Re: Live Oaks in Vacherie Louisiana Part III Felicity Planta

Post by dbhguru » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:45 pm

Larry,

Another fabulous post! Thanks to you, the story of that wonderful species will finally be told in numbers and images. When are we going to model the biggie? Can't wait to get photos with reference objects and distances. maybe I can talk our buddy Michael Taylor to get involved with us. But first, we need to do the test using the tree in your yard. I'm ready.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:59 pm

Bob, Thanks- Its raining now and tomorrow but maybe Sunday I could get started on the Darlington Oak in my yard. You need multiple shots of the trunk and crown? The distance you needed was 40' right? Larry

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:48 pm

Larry

We need a clear image of each section that we're going to measure. Let's try 40 to 50 feet from the target and see how it works. Be sure to have a ruler or yardstick in the image at 90 degrees to the camera. Remember, I'll need to know what the target is supposed to be. I'll send you an example of how we can identify the target tomorrow.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Jess Riddle

Post by Jess Riddle » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:54 pm

Hi Larry,

In addition to being impressively large, this collection of oaks seems unusually tall for open grown live oaks. Any idea why?

Jess

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:23 pm

Hi Jess- Many of the mature open Live Oaks such as these throughout the Deep South are in access of 70-80'. I believe it is due to ideal growing conditions, soil, moisture, and climate. I also think genetics play an important role. Larry

Return to “Louisiana”