Live Oaks in Vacherie Louisiana Part I Laura Plantation

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Live Oaks in Vacherie Louisiana Part I Laura Plantation

Post by Larry Tucei » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:38 pm

NTS- I traveled to Vacherie Louisiana on Friday to first visit Laura Plantation after setting a date with the owner and document their 4 Live Oaks. After a few hours at Laura I finished up and went back to Oak Alley to complete the project I'm helping them with measuring their Live Oaks in the back of the Mansion, I have them on Power Point and Excel. My third stop was St. Joseph Plantation to document the Live Oaks at their two estates. But first I detail Laura. Laura Plantation was built in 1805 by a French Naval Veteran of the Revolutionary War named Guillaume Duparc. http://www.lauraplantation.com/sugar.asp only one of the 4 Live Oaks I measured was over 19' so it will go on the Live Oak Listing which is now at 209 trees. Three of the four trees were most likely planted when the House was built and the fourth at a later time. The measurements were as follows #1 CBH- 22' 11", Height- 67.5' and Spread- 115.5' x 90'. This tree had damage from Hurricane Betsy in 1965 but still was thriving. Oak #2 measured CBH- 17' 8", Height- 63'5' and Spread-108' x 90'. Oak #3 measured CBH- 17' 4", Height- 69' and Spread-126' x 120', the tallest and broadest of the four. Oak #4 was much smaller with a CBH- 12' 5", Height- 45' and Spread- 102' x 67.5'. The House and grounds were lovely and the Live Oaks really made it special. To be continued-
Attachments
Laura Plantation Mansion
Laura Plantation Mansion
Laura Plantation House 2.jpg
Oak 1
Oak 1
Oak 2
Oak 2
Oak 3
Oak 3
Oaks 3 & 4
Oaks 3 & 4