Lacombe Louisiana Live Oaks

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Lacombe Louisiana Live Oaks

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:55 pm

NTS, The small town of Lacombe is located in south central Louisiana in St. Tammany Parrish. I passed through this area last year on my way to Fountainebleau State Park and noticed several big trees growing here. Lacombe has many Live Oaks these are four of the largest. The first tree is located on Davis Ave., called Shady Lady Oak. This tree had some massive limbs and was difficult to measure due to the undergrowth on the property. The measurements were CBH-22’ 5”, Height-54’ and Spread-126’ x 123’. The next three Oaks I measured all grow on Main St. two grow in the center of the road and one at a private residence. The first tree you encounter as you drive down Main is the Agnus Dei Oak, CBH-22’ 2”, Height-57’ and Spread- 117’ x 102’. This Oak really catches your eye as you enter the road but doesn’t have an overpowering dominance. As you continue east you drive alongside the Pax Domini Oak, another beautiful tree. The measurements were CBH-21’ 5”, Height-66’ and Spread-126’ 105’. The final tree at the private residence across the road maybe 50 yards to the north of Pax is the Cousin Oak. It measured CBH-23’ 2”, Height-66’ and Spread-138’ x 114’. It was the most massive of all four trees and had some really huge limbs.Three of the four trees are registered with the Louisiana Live Oak Society- Shady Lady #2572, Agnus Dei #2419, and Pax Domini #2420. In adding these four trees to the Listing I have now reached 200 trees with only 6 just under 20' CBH. One is 19', one 19' 5", two 19' 6", two 19' 9" all the rest are 20-34'+. The 40' CBH National Champ Seven Sisters is a clump of 7 trunks and should be the multi champ. The double trunk tree E. O. Hunt would be next at 34' 3". The single trunk champ would be the Ms Champion Walkaih Bluff Oak at 33' 1" followed by the Middleton Oak at 32' 8".There are still some 30+ Live Oaks out there I just haven't made it to them yet. This has been a very enjoyable undertaking and I've learned much about the Live Oak since 2006. In the future I could possibly make it to 300 trees over 20+ and maybe 400 at the most. I'll compile a list by State and post on it later. Larry
Attachments
Copy_of_Copy_of_Live_Oak_Project_20070524.xlsx
Listing
(36.63 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Live_Oak_Project.xlsx
Listing
(23.47 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Shady Lady
Shady Lady
Shady Lady Oak 2.jpg
Shady Lady Oak 3.jpg
Agnus Dei
Agnus Dei
Pax Domini
Pax Domini
Pax Domini Oak 2.jpg
Cousin Oak
Cousin Oak
Grand Oak 2.jpg
Grand Oak 3.jpg
Last edited by Larry Tucei on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

bbeduhn

Re: Lacombe Louisiana Live Oaks

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:51 pm

Larry,
I'm amazed at how much travel you've put into this project in so little time. What will you do with yourself when it's completed?

I agree that the 7 Sisters should be demoted from the single trunk category.

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:50 pm

Brian, That's a tough question. Whatever I do in the future trees will always be in the mix. I enjoy the outdoors so much especially exploring. To me nothing beats a good hike in a Forest but that's just my opion. The wildlife, balance, simplicity and serenity are unmatched in the Forest setting. I wanted to update the Ms Tree Champion listing sometime. Also visit some of the places in my region I haven't been to for example the Petrified Forest in Flora would be an interesting place. Homochitto NF and Delta NF have some big trees and I haven't been there in years. Visit some of the cities in Ms., like Natchez, Vicksburg, and look for urban trees. Also check out the Civil War sites throughout the state. St Catherine Creek WNR is another place with big trees. Many of Ms., Wildlfife Mgt Areas have potential for big trees as do all the National Wildlife Refuges. Maybe do a Project on the Longleaf Pine and Bald Cypress. I guess I'll keep treeing till I go to that big Forest in the sky. Larry

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:27 pm

"Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'" --Shawshank Redemption

Keep it up, Larry. It looks like you've got plenty to keep you busy for decades to come!

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:43 am

Brian,

Be careful. Don't know how, but Larry has managed to clone himself. He has a cloned 5-inch tall version of himself that he photographs next to garden shrubbery and then stitches in a background to make it look like he's in some other place. All smoke and mirrors. The really big trees are in upstate New York. Cottonwoods.

Joking aside, Larry has complied an amazing record of the southern live oaks. It is one of the real success stories of NTS. It would be good to make an updated list of our accomplishments to include everything from big tree discoveries to scientific accomplishments. It would be a very long, very mpressive list.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Louisiana”