Ormond Live Oak South Louisiana

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Ormond Live Oak South Louisiana

Post by Larry Tucei » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:22 pm

NTS, The next Live Oak I measured on Dec 31 is growing in the middle of a roadway at the entrance to Ormond Estates Subdivision in Destrehan La. Great care was taken when the roadway was constructed to make sure this tree had lots of room. Thanks to the Ormond Garden Club and all who provided such care for this great tree. Once on the property of Ormond Plantation the Ormond Oak is located about a mile west of the Plantation House. The Oak is a really big tree with a fabulous crown spreading out in every direction with lots of limbs on the ground. The tree has been slightly pruned on the east and western sides due to the roadway. The tree measured CBH-22' 4", Height-54' and Spread-131.5' x 105'. Of the 8 trees I measured on this trip I enjoyed this beauty the most. I couldn't get the full crown in the photos due to private property and the but I was right up to the fence. The Ormond Oak is number 737 on the Louisiana Live Oak Society listing. To be continued. Larry
Attachments
Ormond Oak 1.jpg
Ormond Oak 2.jpg
Ormond Oak 3.jpg

jamesrobertsmith

Re: Ormond Live Oak South Louisiana

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:19 am

Another great live oak! One of the South's most beautiful trees, no doubt about it.

Larry Tucei

Re: Ormond Live Oak South Louisiana

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:58 pm

James, I agree the Live Oak is without a doubt the souths most beautiful tree. I only wish I could have seen the really big ones that have been cut down in the past during the wooden shipbuilding days. They would have been massive up to 12' Dia. would have been common. Larry

Return to “Louisiana”