Louisiana Live Oaks Ormond Plantation

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Louisiana Live Oaks Ormond Plantation

Post by Larry Tucei » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:37 pm

NTS, On Sunday Dec 31 after I left the St Charles Borromeo Church in Destrehan La. and I continued west on River rd to Ormond Plantation built in the late 1700's. Ormond was closed but I called the day before and had permission to enter the 16 acre property. The property has several Live Oak trees and I measured the three largest. The first tree grows behind the old place in the courtyard. The Oak is hollow and showed signs of a fire perhaps from a lightning strike. Several large limbs on the tree were also missing. A short Oak for its age with a small spread due to the limb loss and fire. The Oak measured Cir at 2' from ground- 20', Height-42' and Spread-90' x 75'. I measured under a buttress from a more accurate measurement. The second Oak in the very back of the property was a little larger and measured CBH-21'2", Height-54' and Spread-94.5' x 93'. The third and final tree I measured is growing in the front right beside the fence on River rd. This tree had a smaller Cir but is taller and had a greater spread than the others. It measured CBH-19' 5", Height-57' and Spread-120' x 100'. One of these Oaks is named the Trepagnier the other two I'm not sure. I will contact the Plantation and make sure I get the names correct. http://www.plantation.com/history.html To be continued. Larry
Attachments
Oak 1
Oak 1
Oak 1
Oak 1
Oak 2
Oak 2
Oak 3
Oak 3
Ormand House
Ormand House

TN_Tree_Man

Re: Louisiana Live Oaks Ormond Plantation

Post by TN_Tree_Man » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:16 pm

Larry,

Wondering if you knew about Dr. Kim Coder's (U of GA Forestry Dept) shared love for big Live oaks?

http://www.warnell.uga.edu/news/wp-cont ... te-pub.pdf

I heard him say at a conference that he wasn't interested in any "small" stuff, that is, any trees less than 8 feet in diameter!

Steve Springer
"One can always identify a dogwood tree by it's bark."

Larry Tucei

Re: Louisiana Live Oaks Ormond Plantation

Post by Larry Tucei » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:53 pm

Steve, Interesting stuff, very detailed. Great reference material. I enjoyed reading it and always like to see what others think about Live Oaks. Thanks so much for posting it. Larry

Return to “Louisiana”