St. Charles Borromeo Church Live Oaks, LA

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

St. Charles Borromeo Church Live Oaks, LA

Post by Larry Tucei » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:22 pm

NTS, St. Charles Borromeo Church is located on River rd., in the city of Destrehan Louisiana. The first Church built here in 1740 called Little Red Church burned in 1806 was rebuilt burned and rebuilt again in 1921. There are many early prominent figures from days past buried at the Church Cemetery. Two large Live Oaks were planted here in 1852 and 1858. The first is the Red Church Oak a multi-trunked tree that measured CBH-26'10, Height-72' and Spread-124.5' x 108'. The larger of the two trunks measured 18' 10". The second tree is the Rev. John F. Basty Oak it measured CBH-22' 2", Height-60' and Spread-108' x 108'. Both of these trees are on the Louisiana Live Oak Society Listing at number 671 and 673. The 1921 Church and grounds are very beautiful with many Live Oaks but these are the two largest. I spent several hours in this part of Louisiana today at 5 different locations and will report on several other larger trees in upcoming posts. Larry
Attachments
Red Church Oak
Red Church Oak
Red Church Oak
Red Church Oak
Rev John F. Basty Oak
Rev John F. Basty Oak
Rev John F. Basty Oak
Rev John F. Basty Oak
St. Charles Borromeo Church 1921.jpg

truman

Re: St. Charles Borromeo Church Live Oaks, LA

Post by truman » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:14 am

I am searching for an issue of the old Audubon Magazine with an article about the live oaks of Audubon Park in New Orleans. It might be about the 7 sisters in particular; I don't recall.It would be from the mid to late 70's or early 80's Can anyone help with this search? Thanks!
biking jackets biking jackets
brown suede coat brown suede coat
black leather vest for men black leather vest for men

guymayor

Post by guymayor » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:37 am

Larry, the one at the church looks like it's ready to split in two. Anyone consider reducing the sprawl by pruning, and installing a cable? Might cost $3-400, but avoid loss of the whole tree.

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:24 pm

Truman, I don't about the magazine article. I have been to Audubon several times and the many Oaks located there make it a fabulous place to visit. The largest tree is the Tree of Life or formerly known as Etienne de Boré Oak a 30' CBH tree. I measured the 7 sisters in the city of Mandeville old (Lewisburg) La. some years ago a nice tree but a Multi-Trunk specimen. Guy perhaps I should contact them and help convince them to support it in some way. I see many Live Oaks that require some type of shoring but mostly it doesn't happen in time and the tree splits.

guymayor

Post by guymayor » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:05 pm

No arborists nearby? Cabling's not that hard, but not that easy. The hardest part is getting secured in the right location(s). Pic shows possible location for cable, and light pruning cuts.
Live Oak Splitting Apart.jpg
Live Oak Splitting Apart.jpg (96.05 KiB) Viewed 1839 times

Return to “Louisiana”