Hermitage Plantation South Louisiana

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Hermitage Plantation South Louisiana

Post by Larry Tucei » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:07 pm

NTS, I visited Hermitage Plantation today to add the three great Live Oaks growing there to the Live Oak Project listing. Mr. Robert C. Judice and his wife were so kind to let me come to their private residence. Mr. and Mrs. Judice gave me a tour of the home built 1804-1815, after much discussion about the Live Oak Project. They both were very interested in what I was doing and I thanked them for their hospitality. We then proceeded outside for a tour of the property and the trees. The three Live Oaks at the home were probably planted at the time the house was built making them around 200 years old.

Emmanuel Marius Pons Bringier had the home built for his son Michel who after serving under Andrew Jackson during the war of 1812 named the property Hermitage after Jackson’s home in Tennessee. The property has changed hands many times over the years as most of the great Louisiana Plantations have. The present owners, Dr. and Mrs. Robert C. Judice purchased the property in 1959 and are in the process of restoration.

The first Oak I measured was the Louis Judice ll, CBH-25’ 5”, Height-69’ and Spread-106’5 x 142.5’. The second tree measured, the Michel Bringier, CBH-21’ 8”, Height-69’ and Spread-96’ x 120’. Both of these fine Live Oaks grow on the eastern side the Home. The third and final tree I measured, the Joseph Landry, CBH-23’ 5”, Height-71’ and Spread-125’ x 125’. This Oak grows on the western side of the Home and had an added surprise. A huge Beehive was attached to one of the main limbs at about 20’ off the ground and has been there for over 10 years. It was the first time I’ve ever seen a full colony of Honey Bees on the outside of a tree. It is amazing to me that they can survive the winter temperatures and storms in that open environment. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermitage_ ... Louisiana)

Larry
Attachments
Michel Bringier and Louis Judice ll Oaks Dr. Robert Judice in the Photo
Michel Bringier and Louis Judice ll Oaks Dr. Robert Judice in the Photo
Louis Judice ll Oak
Louis Judice ll Oak
Michell Bringier Oak
Michell Bringier Oak
Joseph Landry Oak 1
Joseph Landry Oak 1
Joseph Landry Oak 2
Joseph Landry Oak 2
Bees in the Louis Judice ll Oak 1.jpg

James Parton

Re: Hermitage Plantation South Louisiana

Post by James Parton » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:20 pm

Lowland Live Oak Larry!

Dude, you have probably measured more trees over 20ft cbh than anyone else in ENTS and your list just keep growing. Awesome work!

I found that beehive really interesting. I hope they are normal European honeybees.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:54 am

James, Thanks my friend. Yes they are Three Banded Italian's which you know as the European Bees. It was really special to see them making a colony in the great Oak. This is the fourth Live Oak that I have measured that had Honey Bees. Prior to my joining the NTS I had seen it many times in Oaks and Pines. They would always make their colonly inside a hollow not on the outside like in this case. I also went to Houma's House Plantation the same day and measured four more big Live Oaks. I will post on those later. The Live Oak listing is now at 187 and closing in on 200 fast! LOL

Rand

Post by Rand » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:06 am

Geeze, just one big limb on the landry oak would make for a big tree in my neck of the woods.

There were a couple of wild hives in hollow trees in my grandparents woods when I was a kid, but they've since died off or the tree finally broke at the hollow spot. Kinda a shame

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:04 am

Randy, With Honeybees struggling lately it was good to see them in such a natural enviorment. Down from Hermitage a couple of miles I noticed a bunch a Beehive Supers in a field, when I was driving in, approx, 40. Many farms around that area probably have Beehives and years ago a swarm would have come and chosen the Landry Oak for a colony. Way cool! Larry

Return to “Louisiana”