Destrehan Plantation Live Oaks

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Re: Destrehan Plantation Live Oaks

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:16 am

Joe, They can grow in the Forest just like anyother tree however they tend to be more upright from light competition. Larry

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:01 am

Larry Tucei wrote:Joe, They can grow in the Forest just like anyother tree however they tend to be more upright from light competition. Larry
Is it a common species in the forests in the south? I presume it would be found in bottom land forests, not in the drier piney woods.
Joe

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:27 am

Joe, Correct. I'm guessing pre-European they grew along the coastal area and near rivers. I think the Indians and later the French would have planted them elsewhere. I have been reading William Bartrams books of late and he metions Live Oaks frequently. Not many records form those days white man destroyed everything. Larry

Neworleo

Post by Neworleo » Thu May 09, 2013 8:39 pm

I just toured the Destrehan Plantation and took a quick snapshot. I wonder if you could tell me what those spiny threads are hanging off those great Oaks?

Neworleo

Post by Neworleo » Thu May 09, 2013 8:40 pm

I just toured the Destrehan Plantation and took a quick snapshot. I wonder if you could tell me what those spiny threads are hanging off those great Oaks?
Attachments
SDIM1634.jpg

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sat May 11, 2013 1:47 pm

It is spanish moss: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_moss Spanish moss (Tillandsia usneoides) is a flowering plant that grows upon larger trees, commonly the Southern Live Oak (Quercus virginiana) or Bald Cypres (Taxodium distichum) in the southeastern United States.

Click on image to see its original size

Click on image to see its original size

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

petesaussy

Post by petesaussy » Sun May 12, 2013 10:04 am

since my amateur botanist father first introduced me to the Latin name for the grey stuff hanging all around the south carolina lowcountry, i have loved the way it rolls off the tongue: Tillandsia us-noi-dees. I remeember meeting a retired chemist here at Pawleys island, named Ennis Rees who besides playing the scottish pipes; invented sunscreen and had been a parfumer, making the perfume used by gypsy rose lee and marilyn monroe [so he said] his home labe included such substances as laudanum and ambergris and civet. He concocted a perfume from the tiny flowers of Tillandsia, believe it or not, which i remember as vaguely floral. collection problem of the tiny blossoms precluded production in anything but minute quantities but he had succeeded. about the same stime, early 60s, some idiot decided that spanish moss bred mosquitos and tried to have it removed from the glorious trees surrounding homes in the pawleys area. a wasted effort to be sure and it took years for the Tillandsia to re establish itself

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun May 12, 2013 2:42 pm

Last night I watched Django Unchained on my high def TV. Once scene, there in Tenn. and I see live oaks covered with spanish moss. Not likely in Tenn., right?
Joe

petesaussy

Post by petesaussy » Mon May 13, 2013 12:13 pm

Correction: i have since learned the perfume chemists name was W. Reese Hart, i confused him with the poet laureate of south carolina, ennis rees, my bad: pete

petesaussy

Post by petesaussy » Mon May 13, 2013 12:17 pm

Joe wrote:Last night I watched Django Unchained on my high def TV. Once scene, there in Tenn. and I see live oaks covered with spanish moss. Not likely in Tenn., right?
Joe
not being familiar with tennessee, i can't say. i have seen Tillandsia far inland on the Congaree River below Columbia SC, though not abundant

Return to “Louisiana”