Destrehan Plantation Live Oaks

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Destrehan Plantation Live Oaks

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:09 pm

NTS, We arrived at Destrehan Plantation at around 3:00 PM and had till 4:30 to measure the six largest Live Oaks that grow there. A wedding was scheduled at 5:00 so I had to be gone by then. I contacted the director of the River Road Historical Society earlier in the week for permission to document the Live Oaks and add them to my growing listing. Destrehan is one of the oldest Homes in Louisiana built in 1787-1790. It is a fantastic Home with many out buildings and beautiful property. We measured the following Live Oaks- Amoco Oak CBH 24’ 10” Height-63’ Spread-120' x 120' Destrehan Oak CBH-26’ 3” Height-63’ Spread-111’ x 129’ Rost Oak CBH-20’6” Height-66’ Spread-141 x 163.5’ Unnamed Oak CBH 22’ Height-72’ Spread-135’ x 142’5’ Henderson Oak CBH-20’ Height-45’ Spread-101.5’ x 111’ Azby Oak CBH-25’9” Height-63’ Spread-120 x 127.5' The Amoco Oak had one limb over 5’ in Diameter and grows nearest to River road on the left of the visitors entrance. The Destrehan Oak grows on the front left side of the main House and is a huge tree. On the right front side of the main House grows the Roast Oak. The Rost Oak had a large limb growing to the ground with a total limb length of 96’, one of the longest limbs I’ve ever seen on any Live Oak. The spread of this tree is also in the top ten of all Live Oaks I’ve measured. This is rare for a smaller tree at only 20’ CBH. The Unnamed Oak grows to the far right from the house and was the tallest of all the Oaks. The Henderson Oak is left and behind the main House it was the smallest of the trees we measured. The Azby Oak another huge tree grows in the back near the Mule Barn. All the six Live Oaks measured are fantastic trees in the 200-250 year old range and very healthy. Destrehan Plantation is located just west and south from New Orleans along the banks of the Mississippi River. It was one of the largest Sugar Cane Plantations in the South. http://www.destrehanplantation.org/
Attachments
Amoco Oak
Amoco Oak
Amoco Oak
Amoco Oak
Destrehan Oak
Destrehan Oak
Destrehan Oak
Destrehan Oak
Wayne Gaupp Oak
Wayne Gaupp Oak
Wayne Gaupp Oak
Wayne Gaupp Oak
Rost Oak
Rost Oak
Rost Oak
Rost Oak
Henderson Oak
Henderson Oak
Henderson Oak
Henderson Oak
Azby Oak
Azby Oak
Azby Oak
Azby Oak
Last edited by Larry Tucei on Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James Parton

Re: Destrehan Plantation Live Oaks

Post by James Parton » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:10 am

Larry,

I think your the large-girth ENTS champion! And I am not saying your fat! I'm talking about the trees.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:04 pm

Larry,

Great pictures. Beautiful trees. Thanks for your work. You've probably addressed this issue before, but how do you go about measuring cbh on the oaks that branch below breast height? Is it an "as close as possible" situation or do you use a different standard than normal? I'm curious mostly because I've been wanting to measure some black willows, but many of the trees in NY branch at or near ground level. Maybe there is no acceptable method for these kinds of trees. Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the pics. I'll be traveling to Florida the next couple of days and hope to see some of these beasts, as well as some big pines and cypress.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:27 pm

Elijah,

I measure the narrowest place if the limbs branch off the trunk at or below breast height. Even if the single trunk is just above ground level. If the tree comes out of the ground as multiple than I measure at 4.5 feet as usual and state " Multiple trucked tree ".
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:55 pm

Elijah, Many times lower limbs or burls are in the 4'6" height above ground. I measure under those points to get a more accurate meaurement of the trees trunk. In some cases I've had to meaure the Cir. at ground level. For example the Wallace Oak has 2 huge limbs at the 4' 6" point so I went under them and pulled around the trunk. Another example the E.O Hunt Oak I measured it at ground level. I believe Ed has a section on measuring on this site and on the older web site. Larry
Attachments
E.O. Hunt Oak
E.O. Hunt Oak
Wallace Oak
Wallace Oak

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:41 pm

Larry,

I'm freakin speechless! Every one is an OMG tree. Congratulations.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:14 pm

dbhguru wrote:Larry,

I'm freakin speechless! Every one is an OMG tree. Congratulations.

Bob
Larry,

I'm freakin' speechless! Bob Leverett is speechless!! Who would have thought it possible!

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:21 pm

James, Larry,

Thanks for your explanations. Larry, those trees are amazing. Thanks for sharing. Have you measured any of the Texas variety of live oak? From what I recall seeing, they're much smaller than your Deep South treasures.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:13 pm

Thanks guys. The listing is now at 180 and climbing. It won't be long I'll will reach 200 and someday 300. Elijah, Eastern Texas does have some big Southern Live Oaks one example is the Goose Island Oak. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/find ... tree.phtml The age on this tree is extremely off more like 300 years at best. Two years ago A couple of friends of mine were in Texas and I told them how to find the the tree. They took some photos for me, I'll see if I can dig them up.The other oak you mentioned Quercus fusiformis is way smaller and a sub species to Q. virginiana. I have not been to Texas measuring them but plan to get there sometime. Larry

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:43 am

So, how well will live oaks grow in a dense forest?
Joe

Return to “Louisiana”