Audubon Zoo New Orleans La Live Oaks

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Audubon Zoo New Orleans La Live Oaks

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:11 am

NTS,

I and a friend visited the Audubon Zoo in New Orleans this weekend to measure the The Climbing Oak. Audubon Zoo is loaded with many Live Oaks in the 16-18’ CBH range and around 150 years old. After walking through the Zoo and taking in all the animal exhibits we located the two largest Live Oaks. They grow in the eastern region of the Zoo and are both around 200-250 years old. The Climbing Oak measured CBH-24-4”, Height-43’ and Spread-99’ x 120’. This tree is climbed by almost every child that walks by for it had one limb twisting the ground that made for easy access.

The second Oak which is just west from the Climbing Oak across a paved path has slightly larger trunk but is not as old. I’ll have to research the name of this tree. I’ll call it the Audubon Zoo Oak for now. The tree measured CBH-25’, Height-54’ and Spread-105’ x 137’. After spending about 3 hours at the zoo it was time to head west for the Destrehan Plantation for some really big trees more to come. Some photos of the trees, plants and picture one for Jenny. http://www.auduboninstitute.org/visit/zoo

Larry

Attachments
Oaks at Zoo
Oaks at Zoo
Flamingo
Flamingo
Ponytail Palm
Ponytail Palm
Century Plant
Century Plant
Bamboo
Bamboo
Martha Washington Oak
Martha Washington Oak
Martha Washington Oak
Martha Washington Oak
Audubon Zoo Oak
Audubon Zoo Oak
Audubon Zoo Oak
Audubon Zoo Oak

dbhguru

Re: Audubon Zoo New Orleans La Live Oaks

Post by dbhguru » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:41 am

Live Oak Larry (LOL),

You make us all proud, my friend. What continues to impresses me is that you stay on mission. Your interest hasn't been marked by a single burst of enthusiasm followed by the candle flickering. One by one, you are documenting these huge live oaks with accurate measurements and images for posterity. As a consequence, the whole Live Oak project gains in significance as it grows and persists over time. We wish you could be up here at the Summit to make a presentation. Next year?

Brother Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:18 am

Larry,

I agree with Bob. Also, you picked an excellent tree to document. One that stands out in everyone's eye. LOL. Yes, Live Oak Larry! It fits! It still can alternatively stand for LOland Larry!

I love giant bamboo! I remember some at the Greenville SC Zoo. The CPU2 ( Now Guthy-Renker ) facility has a paved walking trail in Arden that has some growing at the woods edge. That stuff can exceed 30 feet. I just wonder how tall it can really get. I know it can exceed 4 inches thick.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:35 pm

Bob, Yes I think its time I came up and met up with you guys next year, and give a full Live Oak presentation. Its Cook Forest next year right?. It would be an honor to show all these great trees to everyone at the Summit. I may be a little shy but with some coaching from you I think I could handle it. James, the Bamboo at the zoo was 4" Dia, and 25-30' tall, it was everywhere. Lots of cool animals, birds and reptiles. Larry

Return to “Louisiana”