Stienmuller-Smith Oak

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Stienmuller-Smith Oak

Post by Larry Tucei » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:37 pm

NTS, I visited Denham Springs Louisiana Saturday for their annual Fall Arts and Crafts Festival held in early October. The weather was great with temperatures in the 70’s and clear blue skies. After spending a few hours at the festival and browsing several antique shops it was time to go locate the largest Live Oak in the city. I learned of the tree in the past from the La. Live Oak Society listing and eagerly awaited my meeting of this new addition to the Live Oak listing. I talked to some ladies at City Hall and they gave me directions to the Oak. Luckily I was parked less than a half mile from Denham Springs Park where the mighty Oak grows. The measurements of the Stienmuller-Smith Oak were CBH-23’ 8”, Height-69’ and Spread-120’ x 148.5’. The Oak is number 1999 on the La. Live Oak Society listing and is large tree with a huge crown having a dominating but tranquil effect on the park. Larry
Attachments
Stienmuller-Smith Oak
Stienmuller-Smith Oak
Stienmuller-Smith Oak 2.jpg

dbhguru

Re: Stienmuller-Smith Oak

Post by dbhguru » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:07 pm

Larry,

You've done it again. Congratulations. The massive limbs of these huge trees never cease to amaze me. Sugar maple and white ash limbs may be large at their bases, but quickly narrow down. The live oak limbs remain massive. What significance does the number 1999 have on the listing? That's a lot of tree regardless.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Re: Stienmuller-Smith Oak

Post by Larry Tucei » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:59 pm

Bob, The Louisiana Live Oak Society has 7000 Live Oaks registered throughout the southern US. This Oak happens to be number 1,999. It is cool tree and around 200-250 years old based on the trees that I have been reseaching on. The New Orleans Zoo has some real whoppers that I plan to get to shortly now that the weather is cooling down. Louisiana by far has the most largest Live Oaks in the US. http://www.louisianagardenclubs.org/los.html Larry

Return to “Louisiana”