Fontainebleau State Park Live Oaks

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Fontainebleau State Park Live Oaks

Post by Larry Tucei » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:15 pm

ENTS, Mandeville La., located on the northern shore of Lake Ponchartrain has an annual Seafood festival every year on 4th of July weekend. It’s only an hour drive from my house in Gulfport, so I decided the make the trip on Saturday. The festival is in beautiful 2800 acre Fontainebleau State Park. An old sugar mill was one located here and the ruins can still be seen today. Bernard de Marigny de Mandeville, founder of the nearby town of Mandeville, suggest an interesting history for this site, and indeed there is. The wealthy Marigny developed this area across Lake Pontchartrain from New Orleans as a sugar plantation until 1852. The plantation income helped support his lavish lifestyle. He named his large land holding Fontainebleau after the beautiful forest near Paris, a favorite recreation area of the French kings. The park has 4 Live Oaks registered with the Louisiana Live Oak Society that I’ve been wanting to measure. So this was a good time to go and add them to my every growing project of documenting the biggest Live Oaks in the Southeastern US. These new additions bring the listing to 167 Live Oaks of substantial size. There are many Live Oaks in the 16-19’ CBH range but these 4 were the largest at the park. Two of the trees I did are growing in an Oak Alley that was planted around 200 years ago; they are the Marigny Oak and the Nott Oak. The Marigny Oak measured CBH-22’ 4”, Height-66’ and Spread-112’ x 126’. The Nott Oak measured CBH-21’ 1”, Height-66’ and Spread- 112’ x 114’. The 3rd tree I measured the Bonnabell Oak, was growing near a nature trail on the eastern side of the park. The measurements of it are CBH-20’ 2”, Height-64’ and Spread-96’ x 100’. The last tree measured the Roquette Oak, CBH-22’ 6”, Height-75’ and Spread-120’ x 126’ is located on the western side of park near the cemetery. http://www.fontainebleaustatepark.com/ Larry
Attachments
Nott Oak
Nott Oak
Nott Oak
Nott Oak
Marigny Oak
Marigny Oak
Marigny Oak
Marigny Oak
Roquett Oak
Roquett Oak
Roquett Oak
Roquett Oak
Bonnabell Oak
Bonnabell Oak

James Parton

Re: Fontainebleau State Park Live Oaks

Post by James Parton » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:42 pm

Larry,

All are beautiful but I think the Marigny Oak is my favorite. It looks knarly and old. It really has character.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:47 pm

James, That Oak does have some character to it. The limbs are reaching the ground in all directions. It is a really cool Oak. Larry

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:55 pm

Whoa! Those oaks are SPECTACULAR! You're doing a great job of documenting these amazing trees! Next time I'm in the low country I'll make sure to have my GPS and tape measure to give you a hand. That way I can give you at least some specifics so that you can locate any good trees and take accurate measurements.

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:12 am

JRS, Thanks for the compliment. I really enjoy measuring these giants, I have many more coming in the future. Some of which will be much larger than these last ones. Larry

Return to “Louisiana”