Large White Oak in Fayette Co, KY

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru, edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Large White Oak in Fayette Co, KY

Postby edfrank » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:15 pm

This is from Robert Pace via FaceBook

pace_whiteoak.jpg

A Giant White Oak (Quercus alba) that we ran into while out caching today. If you look closely you will see Elli in the photo which puts the enormity of the tree in perspective.

It is located just north of Oakwood Park in Lexington KY in Northern Fayette County Kentucky at:  N38° 05.0320 W084°30.0150 @ 804' elevation. I didn't get a DBF on the tree. The tree is in great shape and I don't think it is particularly very old.  This is a bing map in which you can see the tree clearly standing out. Just click the link to view.

pace_whiteoak1.JPG

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qbdk8g7yrg93&scene=24581813&lvl=2&sty=b&sp=Point.qbdkbp7yrg9w_Large+Quercus+alba_This+is+a+really+large+white+oak+found+just+north+of+Oakwood+Park+in+Lexington+KY.___&where1=Oakwood+Park%2C+KY

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 822 times
Has Been Liked: 600 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

Return to Kentucky