White Pines of Clermont, IA

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Iowa Big Tree Guy

Re: White Pines of Clermont, IA

Post by Iowa Big Tree Guy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:48 pm

Bob,

If things work out, I would be happy to meet up with you and show you some big Iowa trees. There is a pin oak in Davenport that I would recommend you see. Last year I updated the trunk circumference and got 17'10". It is in good condition with no areas of visible decay. If you like cottonwoods there is a good one in central Iowa. I measured it last fall and found it to have these dimensions. It has a circumference of 25'1", a height of 124' and a spread of 106' for a total of 451.5 points. These two trees and the state champion walnut are all within a few miles of I 80 which runs through Des Moines and Davenport.

Mark

Iowa Big Tree Guy

Re: White Pines of Clermont, IA

Post by Iowa Big Tree Guy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:16 pm

Bob,

If things work out and you come this way on your trip, I would be happy to show you some Iowa big trees. There is a pin oak in Davenport that I think is very impressive. I updated the trunk circumference last year and it measured 17'10". There is a cottonwood in central Iowa that has these dimension: circ. 25'1", height 124', spread 106' for a total of 451.5 points. These two trees and the state champion walnut are all within a few miles of interstate 80. The tallest walnut would not be as convenient but would be a possibility. In the same part of the state as the tall walnut is a very impressive red elm that has a circumference of 16'2" and a height of 96'.

Mark

Return to “Iowa”