Pioneer Mothers Memorial Forest

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Iowa Big Tree Guy

Re: Pioneer Mothers Memorial Forest

Post by Iowa Big Tree Guy » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:41 pm

Doug,

If you prefer not to make a post with your personal email address you are welcome to give me a call. My home phone # is: (515) 271-9315. Kentucky coffeetrees are also one of my favorite trees. I planted my first coffeetree in what was my grandfathers front yard back in the early 1980's and it has become a sizable tree. I planted one in my yard a few years ago but it is still quite small.

You probably already know this but unless you scarify the seed coat, it takes years for the seed to germinate. They are a beautiful tree in the winter with their large twigs and they are beautiful when in leaf, with their fine foliage. Since you like coffee trees, you might want to contact Andy Schmitz who works at the Brenton Arboretum here in Iowa. He has an extensive collection of young Kentucky coffeetrees which he started from seeds collected throughout their range. You can contact him at brentonarboretum@aol.com.

Mark

DougBidlack

Post by DougBidlack » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:50 pm

Mark,

thank you. I'll give you a call tomorrow. At this point I've only planted one coffeetree and it's a cultivar selected by Earl Cully from Illinois. It is absolutely beautiful. I'm hoping to plant about 8 more in the next year or two preferably from wild collected seed. It's been a weird kind of fantasy of mine to plant Kentucky coffeeetrees with honeylocusts and black walnuts and I'm finally going to try and make it happen.

I am aware of the scarification that is needed. One of the really fun things about planting trees from seed is that you get to learn so much more about the plants than you otherwise might. I love the whole process of growing trees from seed. It's funny that you mention Andy Schmitz because I did run across an article by or at least about his quest to collect as much seed from Kentucky coffeetrees from their native range as he could. I guess he hopes to obtain the best Kentucky coffeetree collection for the Brenton Arboretum. Very cool! For some reason I never thought to contact him but that sounds like a great idea. Might be good to try and collect from places that he hasn't and I could even help him out as well if he hasn't already completed his collection.

Doug

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:33 pm

Mark- Nice posting those trees are awesome and the photos really show the scale of the trees. The Walnut blew me away as did the Ash and the Coffee Tree. Hope to see you again at Durango this summer. Larry

Iowa Big Tree Guy

Post by Iowa Big Tree Guy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:37 pm

Larry,

I'm glad you enjoyed my photographs and post about Pioneer Mothers Memorial Forest. I'm so busy it is usually quite a while before I submit a post after visiting an interesting area. I often see other post I would like to comment on but I rarely have the time. For example, I have been wanting to respond to some of your posts. Congratulations on your new national champion black spruce! You have been spending a lot of time in the field and it has paid off with some nice finds. I haven't spent much time in the deep south so I find your trip reports very interesting. I found your photos and dimensions of the sweetbay and spruce pine particularly fascinating. I thought the sweetbay was strictly an understory sized tree! The spruce pine is amazing! It will be one of the trees I hope to see, if and when I get down to your part of the country.

Mark

Rand

Post by Rand » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:38 pm

I visited PMMF over the weekend on my way to see the Eclipse (8/20/17), and every ash tree I saw was dead from EIB; probably for 3-4 years now. Once I got into Kentucky I saw much less damage though.

Enjoy them while they last.

Return to “Indiana”