Hemlocks at Calli Nature Preserve (IN)

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Matt Markworth

Hemlocks at Calli Nature Preserve (IN)

Post by Matt Markworth » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:34 am

Wander Indiana, Wander Indiana . . .

Hi All,

This marks the fourth location in Indiana that I've visited native Eastern Hemlocks:

1) Pine Hills Nature Preserve
2) Hemlock Bluff Nature Preserve
3) Hemlock Cliffs in Hoosier National Forest
4) Calli Nature Preserve (http://www.in.gov/dnr/naturepreserve/files/Calli.pdf)

I noticed two Hemlock groves, one on the west facing slope above the Muscatatuck River and one on the north facing slope. The trees on the west facing slope were concentrated in a stretch of about 500 ft, with many trees in the 1' - 2' CBH range up to a CBH of 5' 1 3/4". The trees on the north facing slope were more scattered, but they were bigger.

3 largest Hemlocks measured:

Ht: 98.5', CBH: 6' (north facing slope)
Ht: 83.3', CBH: 5' 5" (north facing slope)
Ht: 58.5', CBH: 5' 1 3/4" (west facing slope)
Hemlocks (west facing slope)
Hemlocks (west facing slope)
Twisted Hemlock (west facing slope)
Twisted Hemlock (west facing slope)
Hemlock that is the farthest north in the west facing slope grove - looking south
Hemlock that is the farthest north in the west facing slope grove - looking south
- Matt

Beth

Re: Hemlocks at Calli Nature Preserve (IN)

Post by Beth » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:28 am

Matt, thanks for going to all of these areas locating and measuring the Eastern Hemlocks. I only made it to Hemlock Cliffs. I didn't see that you made a report on that area. I'm wondering if you found and measured the hemlock by the pool with the seasonal waterfall? This is the tree that named after Will Blozan.
Beth
Trees are the Answer

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:35 pm

Beth,

Thanks for your original post from a few years ago! I remember reading it along with the historical info that Ed posted.

My trip to Hemlock Cliffs was very impromptu and quite comical. Armed with nothing more than an iPhone, I made my way down the trail in dress clothes and dress shoes. Upon entering the box canyon, I noticed a wasp (or hornets) nest that had recently fallen right into the middle of the trail. I skirted around that and then a little ways further something kept buzzing my head. I ended up tying my white undershirt around my head to shield it.

Despite all that, I was able to get photos of a few Hemlocks with my iPhone that are shown below. I definitely want to go back, maybe even to backpack in and camp above the canyon away from the Hemlocks. The next time I'm there I'll get some measurements. I'll look for the 7'2" girth tree named after Will and get a height measurement on it.
Tree 1
Tree 1
Tree 1
Tree 1
Tree 1
Tree 1
Tree 2
Tree 2
Tree 2
Tree 2
Tree 3
Tree 3
Tree 3
Tree 3
Matt

Jess Riddle

Post by Jess Riddle » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:28 pm

Matt,

I think measurements from these populations on the fringes could eventually prove very valuable for understanding what controls species' heights. Keep the numbers coming.

Jess

Return to “Indiana”