Indiana Cucumber

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Indiana Cucumber

Post by edfrank » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:22 pm

Indiana Cucumber

Tom Robinson
Indiana State Champ Cucumber Mag. Connersville, 210 CBH, 65' tall, 48' spread ( ave ) pictured in Indiana's 2010 Big Tree Directory.
indiana_cuc.jpg
indiana_cuc2.jpg
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

ElijahW

Re: Indiana Cucumber

Post by ElijahW » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:47 pm

Ed,

It looks like the tree was confused as to which way was up. Still pretty cool, though.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:09 am

lucager1483 wrote:Ed,

It looks like the tree was confused as to which way was up. Still pretty cool, though.

Elijah
The more untypical the better. I bet the primeval forest had billions of really strange shaped trees that we unfortunately will never know about- artful masterpieces of nature destroyed by the pale faces.
Joe

Rand

Post by Rand » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:20 am

It's always kinda fascinating to see old trees that while still in relatively good health, can't quite produce new wood as fast as it is decaying/breaking off.

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:51 am

Rand wrote:It's always kinda fascinating to see old trees that while still in relatively good health, can't quite produce new wood as fast as it is decaying/breaking off.
I suspect that in the primeval forest- a vast number of trees were hollow and because of that- the wildlife population was orders of magnitude greater than now- the wilderness was teeming with life- despite the idiotic nonsense of the timber industry that old forests are decadent and "overmature" and it's necessary to carry out a "regenertion harvest" to renew the forest.
Joe
Attachments
imagesCA6PXZUN.jpg
imagesCA6PXZUN.jpg (8.52 KiB) Viewed 1492 times

Rand

Post by Rand » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:57 pm

When my dad was a kid he and his brother knocked over a rotting snag just for yucks and then felt like crap when a bunch of flying squirrels boiled out of it.

Oops.

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:30 pm

NTS-

The shape of the cucumber-tree looks like it might have been manipulated to be a signal tree.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

Amy69

Post by Amy69 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:02 pm

That's super interesting. I would like to see a time lapse of that!

Return to “Indiana”