Indiana Hemlocks

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Beth

Indiana Hemlocks

Post by Beth » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:59 pm

Next week as I travel to Dayton Ohio I was thinking of stopping and try to find Hemlock Cliffs in Hoosier National Forest in Indiana. There is supposed to a pocket of Eastern Hemlocks there, hince the name. I was wondering if anyone as already been there?

Beth
Trees are the Answer

edfrank

Re: Indiana Hemlocks

Post by edfrank » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:54 pm

Beth,

Nobody has checked out the hemlocks in Indiana. There are disjunct populations in Indiana that really should have seed collections done, and the trees measured.

Hoosier National Forest reports that they have about "20 acres with 100-200 trees" size: "Estimated age of hemlock is 100 years old / Size is 10-12 inches d.b.h." comments: "Trees are found in very mesic cool ravines. These trees are scattered and minor component of stand located in a Special Area on the forest." The specific location is an area called Hemlock Cliffs. I am attaching a pdf file from the Forest Service.

Any information you can find on the site and hemlocls would be appreciated.

There is a generalized map that shows some sites in Indiana besides the one at Hemlock Cliffs
disjunct.JPG
Journal of the Torrey Botanical Society 132(4), 2005, pp. 602–612
Disjunct eastern hemlock (Tsuga canadensis) stands at its
southern range boundary1
Justin L. Hart2,3 and David Shankman
Department of Geography, University of Alabama, Box 870322, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487

Counties_hyborea1v4028348432164.jpg
Counties_hyborea1v4028348432164.jpg (22.35 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
Indiana County Distribution Map - this data incudes planted populations. http://plants.usda.gov/java/county?stat ... mbol=TSUGA

newtsuga.JPG
New Stations for Tsuga canadensis in Southern Indiana
A. T. Hotchkiss, Ronald R. Van Stockum, Jr. and Ben Van Osdol
Castanea, Vol. 41, No. 4 (Dec., 1976), pp. 338-342
(article consists of 5 pages)
Published by: Southern Appalachian Botanical Society
Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/4032725
Here is a citation for the full article, but I do not have access to the online versio and am not near libraries that carry the journal. Maybe someone in ENTS with access can send you (and me) a copy of the full article.

I also have the abstract of an article about a disjunct population in southern Wisconsin:

The American Midland Naturalist 161(2):251-263. 2009
doi: 10.1674/0003-0031-161.2.251

Twenty Five Years of Change in a Disjunct Tsuga canadensis Forest in Southern Wisconsin
Thomas F. Grittinger

University of Wisconsin Sheboygan, Sheboygan, Wisconsin 53081

Abstract
A 1.44 ha plot in a disjunct Tsuga canadensis-dominated forest in southern Wisconsin was mapped and examined for 25 y. Every 5 y between 1981 and 2006, all of the trees ≥ 2.54 cm dbh were measured and mortalities and additions were noted. The stand had a 27.6% overall decline in density and a 5.8% decline in basal area. Tsuga remained the dominant species though it had a 28.2% decline in density and a loss in basal area of 12.6%. It still made up almost half the relative density and relative dominance throughout the study. Diameter distributions for the six leading species were all bell-shaped or skewed unimodal with the exception of Acer saccharum which had an inverse J-shaped curve. Tsuga presented bell-shaped curves due to the lack of recruitment from the seedling stage. Nearly 32% of the original Tsuga trees ≥ 2.54 cm dbh died throughout the study, giving an annual mortality rate of 1.53%/year. The annual mortality rate for Tsuga stems ≥ 30 cm dbh was 0.71%/year, which is higher than a Michigan study using the same sized stems. The long-term outlook for the Tsuga in this isolated stand is uncertain due to its sporadic regeneration, high mortality rate, possible deer browsing effects combined with future potential threats such as land development, climate warming and the hemlock woolly adelgid.
Received: September 17, 2007; Accepted: May 12, 2008

Attachments
hemlock_cliffs.pdf
(389.31 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

gnmcmartin

Re: Indiana Hemlocks

Post by gnmcmartin » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:22 pm

Ed:

Thanks for the information--I never cease to be amazed how much you contribute to just about every kind of topic where more info is needed. I don't often respond with thanks as often as I should, but trust me, I am reading with appreciation.

--Gaines

Return to “Indiana”