archival chestnut photo

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Ranger Dan

archival chestnut photo

Post by Ranger Dan » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:01 pm

Does anyone know if the photo described here has been located and uploaded? If so, please share. The following quote is from "Trees, Shrubs, and Woody Vines of Great Smoky Mountains National Park" by Arthur Stupka:

The photograph of a slightly larger tree from within the park area appeared in the Journal of Heredity for September 1915 (p. 412). Entitled "Chestntut Tree from North Carolina", the caption reads
"...3 miles from Crestmont, North Carolina. It stands on the main range of the Big Smoky Mountains, dividing Tennessee and North Carolina; the altitude of the location where the tree grows is about 2900 feet. This specimen is about 75 feet high; its girth at 7 feet from the ground is 33 feet 4 inches." (The location of Crestmont is on Big Crek,about 1 mile inside the park boundary.)

Lucas

Re: archival chestnut photo

Post by Lucas » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:32 pm

Click on image to see its original size

https://goo.gl/MT32MG
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

Bart Bouricius

Post by Bart Bouricius » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:28 am

It looks like if you ran a tape over both big burls you could get close to that circumference, though it's a stretch. Nevertheless it's a big girth tree in an open growth environment. Obviously known for it's unusual size. Quite conical as well. Good to have the photo though to really have a sense of what was being referred to.

Ranger Dan

Post by Ranger Dan » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:01 am

Thanks, Lucas. That's one of the best photos of giant chestnut trees I know of. I think it's been posted here before...but I didn't recall the location. Here's my favorite, also from the Smokies:
Attachments
chestnut 1.jpg
chestnut 1.jpg (19.65 KiB) Viewed 1091 times

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:44 pm

http://ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=30& ... f+Heredity

BTW Source of the pic.

Anyone know if the records mentioned in the article still exist.

Check out the pecan!
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

Return to “Great Smoky Mountains National Park”