LiDAR and Liriodendrons - Deep Creek Watershed

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

James Parton

Re: LiDAR and Liriodendrons - Deep Creek Watershed

Post by James Parton » Sun May 30, 2010 3:12 pm

Ian,

If I were you I would keep measuring the way you are until you obtain your rangefinder. Though not ENTS official your clinometer readings may be in the ballpark and still tell us the trees are really tall. I think other ENTS measurers would feel the same way. Measure with what you have until you get what you need, in your case a laser rangefinder. And besides, we know your cbh measurements are probably truly ENTS accurate. You obviously have what it takes to be an ENTS class measurer so keep it up! You have our attention!

I was hoping myself to do some measuring in Sumter National Forest ( LCD ) along Stevens creek tomorrow but I have lied in bed most of the day with a fever and sore throat. Dang-it!

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Josh Kelly

Post by Josh Kelly » Mon May 31, 2010 5:29 pm

Ian,

I worked up a 9ft. cell size canopy height model for the area you describe in your trip report and you are definitely on to some good stuff. The 60 ft. cell size model will tend to over estimate heights on slopes, and that is definitely the case with the 190 something foot tall point you reported. However, there is a credible looking 186' tall point that matches your description of the tall poplar you measured. That tree could very well be the tallest known poplar.

Josh

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:07 am

Ian,

Very, very exciting possibility. The number of 180-foot trees of any species in the East is miniscule. Most will be white pines, or at least we thought, but perhaps there are a few more tulips out there to be found that reach the 180-foot bar that previously thought. I hope you and Will make it out there together and tie down the exact height. It sounds like it is in reach of the Boogerman Pine, the tallest accurately measure tree of any species in the eastern U.S.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:32 pm

Bob,

I am a bit worried about the " Boog ". Last winter was a rough one here and may have damaged the pine. Will or I need to get out there and check it out.

JP
James E Parton
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:02 pm

James,

Yes, we all will be holding our breaths. The Boogerman Pine, The Longfellow Pine, the Jake Swamp Pine, and the Claremont Pine are some of the icons for the species. We Ents need to keep close tabs on them. I suppose, it's part of our list mania, but legitimate too. Just wait until the database is released. It is going to be lis city.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:12 pm

Bob,

Part of it is " list mania " but at least on my part, and I believe yours too, is I care for the trees. I personally hate to see them come to harm. Even if it is nature's way.

Tell Monica I am listening to Beethoven's " Eroica ".

James
James E Parton
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

Return to “Great Smoky Mountains National Park”