Suggestions for a tree lovers visit to GSMNP?

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

pdbrandt

Suggestions for a tree lovers visit to GSMNP?

Post by pdbrandt » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:24 pm

Dear NTS,

I will be in the Asheville/Canton, NC area April 18-20 for business and I've carved out some time in the afternoons/evenings to hike the old growth forests of the GSMNP. I'm hoping to see the Sag Branch Tulip and Booogerman Pine and maybe look for the Fork Ridge Tulip as well if it not too far off the beaten path.

This will be my first trip to the park. Are there other old growth must see parts of the park? Can anyone share with me how to locate these trees? PM me if you prefer.

Thanks,

Patrick
Patrick

Will Blozan

Re: Suggestions for a tree lovers visit to GSMNP?

Post by Will Blozan » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:50 pm

Patrick,

Those are the exact dates of a tall tulip expedition for the ENTS Tuliptree Study...

If you have a GPS I can email some waypoints for some of the trees. The Fork Ridge Tuliptree is far from any road and not an easy day trip. Are you staying on the NC side only?

Will Blozan

pdbrandt

Post by pdbrandt » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:35 pm

Thanks, Will. I just sent you a PM.
Patrick

RyanLeClair

Post by RyanLeClair » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:14 pm

Hey Patrick, do you think you'll be able to go to Nantahala National Forest? I've heard that's where the Joyce Kilmer Grove is. The Grove is--if I'm not mistaken--a rare example of virgin forest.

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:07 pm

Ryan,

Joyce Kilmer is a highly touted example of "virgin" forest, not "rare" as a "virgin" Forest. I am not sure what your definition of virgin is but JK is anything but virgin. The chestnuts are gone as are the (dynamited) hemlocks so it is not even remotely virgin.

As a forest type, "virgin" forest is rare on the landscape but many, many examples exist. JK is an example of a rare commercially valuable forest (cove hardwoods) but many examples of even more intact (ecologically) forest types exist all over the eastern US.

Better examples of cove hardwoods can be found in the Smokies.

Will

RyanLeClair

Post by RyanLeClair » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:12 pm

Yes I forgot about the dynamited hemlocks. Glad to hear there are places better than JK, since JK is the only one I've read about.

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:01 pm

You might try a little wine and music on a moonlight night and see if you can find a compatible tree. Maybe one on the rebound after a big windstorm.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:34 am

Some favorites of mine are Ramsay Cascades and the Albright Grove on the Tennessee side. In NC, Cataloochee has numerous trails. Boogerman is essential, along with a couple of other trails. Boogerman has the Boogerman pine, the Sag Brach tulip ( a bit off trail), tremendous second growth white pine forest and a stunning cathedral of hardwoods.

pdbrandt

Post by pdbrandt » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:25 pm

edfrank wrote:You might try a little wine and music on a moonlight night and see if you can find a compatible tree. Maybe one on the rebound after a big windstorm.
What can I say to that? Thanks for a laugh, Ed.
Patrick

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:02 pm

bbeduhn wrote:Some favorites of mine are Ramsay Cascades and the Albright Grove on the Tennessee side. In NC, Cataloochee has numerous trails. Boogerman is essential, along with a couple of other trails. Boogerman has the Boogerman pine, the Sag Brach tulip ( a bit off trail), tremendous second growth white pine forest and a stunning cathedral of hardwoods.
Yeah, the Boogerman Trail is fantastic. The Albright Grove is something to see, too. I've been told that the hemlocks there are in better shape than elsewhere because they were heavily treated before hwa could kill them all. Is that true? Are there still big living hemlocks in the Albright Grove? Last time I was there it looked okay...but that's been about eight years back.

Return to “Great Smoky Mountains National Park”