Visiting the BIG TULIP, Cataloochie GSMNP - Video

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Visiting the BIG TULIP, Cataloochie GSMNP - Video

Post by edfrank » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:29 pm

Visiting the BIG TULIP, Cataloochie GSMNP
by Aaron Morrell
Fri, Jul 8, 2011 8:21am EST (Eastern Standard Time)

http://vimeo.com/26156872

Everyone needs to recharge from time to time. With that in mind, my good freind Aaron Hogsed suggested "it's time we hit the woods". As it turned out, we couldn't have chosen a better day.

If you want to see a big tree, as east coast trees go, this one's pretty stunning. So pack your snacks and your water filter and hit the "Rough Fork Creek" trail in Cataloochie Valley, Great Smoky Mountains National Park. You won't be disappointed.

Enjoy.

Tech:
Camera- Canon 7D
Support- Steadicam Merlin
Manfroto Monopod
Kessler Pocket Dolly

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Will Blozan

Re: Visiting the BIG TULIP, Cataloochie GSMNP - Video

Post by Will Blozan » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:44 pm

Ed,

Thanks for posting this. I suffered thru the nostril shots but they did help highlight the HWA carnage in the canopy. I know the tree well but it is NOT 25 feet in diameter. I know they meant circumference. It is a big one for sure, but highly tapered and unfortunately trampled by hikers and horses. Here is a stitch of the tree from 2007.
Big tulip Caldwell Fork
Big tulip Caldwell Fork
Also, they could correct the spelling; Cataloochee, not Cataloochie.

Will

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:33 pm

People who don't know what that forest was like pre-adelgid have no idea what we've lost. That's one trail I really hate traversing now, because I do remember what it was like when the forest was whole.

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:18 am

In actuality, none of us saw it when the forest was whole. The mighty chestnuts reigned supreme over much of the Southern Apps. That would have been quite the sight! The hemlock carnage is pretty unbelievable. It's amazing just how quickly a little bug can virtually obliterate one of the forest mainstays.

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:43 am

Ed,

Cool video. I've been to parts of the Cataloochee Valley, but not on those trails. Thanks for sharing.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Rand

Post by Rand » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:18 am

Here's a picture of the same tree with the leaves down. It's got a big crown, a lot like an old field/pasture tree.
Screen shot 2011-07-28 at 12.16.25 PM.jpg

Return to “Great Smoky Mountains National Park”